SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an intermiteent turn signal, that was always solved by manipulating the switch. Some times the turn signal would not come on. some times it was delayed, and some times it would quit after working for three or four blinks. I had done some google searching and found several post on how to fix the problem. So if oyu have similar symptoms here is what I suggest before you spend ~$120 on a new switch.

Remove the three T25 screws from the bottom steering column cover. Remove both steering column covers, the lower one will need to be worked around the ignition lock after releasing the tile/ telescope lever and then slid forward. Once you have the covers out of the way use a #2 phillips screw driver to remove the two screws that hold the switch in place. At this point you should be able to slide the switch out. Once you have the switch out, take it over to a clean workbench or kitchen counter (if your significant other/ house mates will allow) and remove the #0 philips screw that holds the printed circuit board to the switch. (It was about this time I noticed a lot of thick oil all over the switch and circuit board. I assume it is the grease the lubricated the mechanical parts of the switch.) I then lifted out the slider for the turn signal part (make sure you pay attention how it goes, it will only work in one position, it is keyed but you have to look carefully). I washed the circuit board and the switch itself with some electronics cleaner (do this outside) to remove the oil from the electronic parts. Using an eraser (pink pearl) I polished the contacts on the circuit board and the spring loaded contact. Then I washed everything down with more electronics cleaner. Reassembly is opposite of assembly. All in all it took me about 30 min from start to finish and the switch works like new.

Next weekend I plan on doing the modified flush on the TF-80 SC transmission, I plan to take pictures along the way. I have seen some postings from the VIDA around the web, but no actual pictures of the process.

Reactions: kyngofpop

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Fixed mine last year, it was very easy to do. Only thing I did differently was to put a thin film of electrical grease on the copper contacts.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just did this on one xc90 today, will wait a week before I do the other one.

good instructions, thanks

suggestion:
pull the turn signal assembly straight out.
I bent one of the pins trying to jiggle it out, it seems to be working after I fixed it.

Also plastic pieces on the contacts will fall out once you lift the circuit board.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
487 Posts
On a related note, does anyone know if the rear wiper motor goes thru these same circuit boards? I have the same turn signal problem, but mine also has problems with the rear wiper. It starts/stops/starts/stop mid wipe on either mode.

Thx.

UPDATE: For anyone who searches in the future, in my case the rear wiper motor was dying.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not looked at the wiper switch, but my guess is that it is susceptible to the same problems. I would also say the design maybe similar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did repair in 33 minutes flat including taking video to make sure I remembered where everything went. I used the pencil eraser method and gently pulled the contacts out a bit to create a firmer contact. My local Volvo dealer wanted to charge me $$270 labor and $128 parts. Thanks for the help guys

Cheers

Oil Country

·
Registered
313 Posts
Giving this a bump. Super easy to remove and clean the turn signal. Worked great after everything was done. One word of advice - I believe the graze is to preven oxidation of the contacts. I only removed the grease on the contacts and then after cleaning smeared the grease back over everything.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up doing it again, this time adding grease per iontrap

·
Registered
953 Posts
I ended up doing it again, this time adding grease per iontrap
I did both xc90's, one still working fine (car used more often), the other one reverted to the erratic behavior.
Redid it, working fine again but without the grease.

Wondering what the part number if I replace it? There are 3 different part numbers that I can locate and they all appear to be the same

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would pull the switch and look for the part number on the switch itself (I have not tried this with a Volvo (I have seen what look to be part numbers on most the components I have put my hands on under the hood), however I expect that Volvo would stamp every part on the car with the part number, just like BMW does (at least they did up until 1998)). The 3 different numbers may be related to revisions of the switch, or the break between 06 and 07 where the electronics were changed. If you start with the original part number then the dealer can tell you what the "new" part number should be. Also if you call someone that has a Volvo parts catalog then they too can tell you which part you need or the new part number.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hey Ray, thanks for this tip! My problem wasn't the turn signal, but the wipers switch working intermittently. Stealer was going to charge me around $350!!! Part was $150.....when Tasca sells for $64. Did what you said, took me less than 15 mins. I don't understand how stealer can charge for something so easy. Was this going to take stealers few hours to install!!??? $200 for labor! ~ 1 1/2 hours??!! Thanks again!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad it worked!

·
Registered
621 Posts
BTW, can I use a dielectric silicone grease on the board? I figured it's non-conductive, therefore it won't work? All other electrical grease that I've seen, all say dielectric. Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW, can I use a dielectric silicone grease on the board? I figured it's non-conductive, therefore it won't work? All other electrical grease that I've seen, all say dielectric. Thanks
I used a very small amount of silicon dielectric grease on mine and it works.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts