SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
Have you thought about painting a new hood yourself? I'm expecting to spend about $300 for the paint and the cost of materials for the building I'm currently in the process of making that I will be doing it in (details on that should be coming later this week in my thread). My dad has a HVLP setup based around a vacuum cleaner turned around backwards that he says he used with great success to paint a Chevy panel truck he had in the '70s; we are going to clean the mice out of the vacuum and revive that setup for this project so it isn't included in the cost, but you could buy a used setup and sell it when you're done which should bring that cost to the vicinity of zero. If you have access to a barn or similar structure, then you just need the plastic to build a makeshift spray booth and maybe a few pieces of wood to get the plastic under control, which would have reduced the total cost of this project to about $150. If all goes well with my hood, I'll respray my bumpers, mirrors, and rockers while I'm at it, so the whole car will look better than it did before the collision with the deer.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Have you thought about painting a new hood yourself? I'm expecting to spend about $300 for the paint and the cost of materials for the building I'm currently in the process of making that I will be doing it in (details on that should be coming later this week in my thread). My dad has a HVLP setup based around a vacuum cleaner turned around backwards that he says he used with great success to paint a Chevy panel truck he had in the '70s; we are going to clean the mice out of the vacuum and revive that setup for this project so it isn't included in the cost, but you could buy a used setup and sell it when you're done which should bring that cost to the vicinity of zero. If you have access to a barn or similar structure, then you just need the plastic to build a makeshift spray booth and maybe a few pieces of wood to get the plastic under control, which would have reduced the total cost of this project to about $150. If all goes well with my hood, I'll respray my bumpers, mirrors, and rockers while I'm at it, so the whole car will look better than it did before the collision with the deer.
This is pretty much my plans but not this year. My budget as a student is pretty much non existence but I can surely find a cheap hood at some local scrapyard.
The entire car needs a new paintjob but the worst parts right now are the front and sideskirts. But none of that can happen until I'm done with school and got a job!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
This is pretty much my plans but not this year. My budget as a student is pretty much non existence but I can surely find a cheap hood at some local scrapyard.
The entire car needs a new paintjob but the worst parts right now are the front and sideskirts. But none of that can happen until I'm done with school and got a job!

I sympathize with that! Luckily my school has an excellent cooperative education program, so I've made enough to fund enough of the projects I want to do to keep me entertained despite the fact that I am also still in school. When I consider all the stuff I've managed to pull off so far on such a low budget, I get a bit worried about how many projects I am going to get myself into after I graduate and have a full time salary to play with LOL :eek:.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I sympathize with that! Luckily my school has an excellent cooperative education program, so I've made enough to fund enough of the projects I want to do to keep me entertained despite the fact that I am also still in school. When I consider all the stuff I've managed to pull off so far on such a low budget, I get a bit worried about how many projects I am going to get myself into after I graduate and have a full time salary to play with LOL :eek:.
Nice! I know that feeling lol. I get around $1000 a month (70% of that is loan) for studying but it can be hard getting by sometimes. I can't wait until I'm done and get a job so I can throw money at this car or another R in the future!

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I'm not the only one with the passenger air bag cover peeling off from the corner? LoL
I have that too, I never notice it unless I have a passenger sitting there and I wonder if they get concerned.
Can I just glue it down? I can't imagine it would affect the performance of the air bag given how violently it would deploy.

And Turbojeppe, I appreciate what this project means to you as a tribute car. I'm happy your are able to continue what your brother started. I will watch your progress with a full heart.
Have fun

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
I have that too, I never notice it unless I have a passenger sitting there and I wonder if they get concerned.
Can I just glue it down? I can't imagine it would affect the performance of the air bag given how violently it would deploy.

And Turbojeppe, I appreciate what this project means to you as a tribute car. I'm happy your are able to continue what your brother started. I will watch your progress with a full heart.
Have fun
The problem is what to glue it down with. I tried some Super 77. That didn't work, so I tried some Super 90. That also didn't work. I suspect my application method was problematic though as my spray cans were a bit messed up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Have fun
I have tried gluing it down with superglue, contact adhesive and some other stuff my father uses when working (works with carpets and floors). Nothing worked..
You can try fixing it by following these steps I've seen on another forum. I thought it would be easier just to replace it with a dashboard that's already healthy. 10 minutes work to remove it.

Thank you, it means alot.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The problem is what to glue it down with. I tried some Super 77. That didn't work, so I tried some Super 90. That also didn't work. I suspect my application method was problematic though as my spray cans were a bit messed up.
I would try something like 3M 4200. I have never used it but a coworker has and he says really good stuff. He's a sailor like you Jared and uses it for things on his boat. He recommended it to me for something I needed to glue at work.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Tried to get some pictures of the damage hood, but it's very hard to get the damages on picture. I tried editing it so they would show better.

I'm lucky to have my parents live about ½ mile from a scrapyard. When I got there I saw maybe five 850s but the first one was black and looked like it "just got there". The hood looked good but I wanted to see the other hoods. They were rusted out or had deep scratches. The black one was almost perfect. It looks REALLY good but got a few 5mm (1/5 inch) rust-spots at the grill.

65 bucks later I got home with a new hood, grill and the cover for the fuse box I managed to break last summer!

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Your yellow hood doesn't look that bad in the pics though like you suggest, the pics may not be getting all of the damage. If it was my car I would try paintless dent repair (PDR) on that hood before trying to paint the black one. A good PDR guy can work wonders. In the US it would probably cost around $150 to give it a try.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your yellow hood doesn't look that bad in the pics though like you suggest, the pics may not be getting all of the damage. If it was my car I would try paintless dent repair (PDR) on that hood before trying to paint the black one. A good PDR guy can work wonders. In the US it would probably cost around $150 to give it a try.
It's worse than the picture can show you. My brother has worked with PDR the last 10 years and I value his opinion very much. The dents are very rough (i.e not soft enought to "bump out") and will require putty to make it smooth again. Since it requires putty, it then requires paint to make it original again. This WILL happen eventually, it's just not something I can do on my student budget.

Edit: Yes the black hood is pretty much temporary for 2017. My parents helped me with the cost and it's better than riding around with a dented hood! :) Also needed if the yellow one is gonna get fixed :p

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
I would try something like 3M 4200. I have never used it but a coworker has and he says really good stuff. He's a sailor like you Jared and uses it for things on his boat. He recommended it to me for something I needed to glue at work.
Yes, 4200 is good stuff. That might do the trick. 4200 and 5200 are very popular in the marine industry.

There is a secondary problem with PDR on the hood which is that a lot of areas on the hood are double wall. PDR is somewhere between a lot harder and impossible when you can't access the back side of the panel.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There is a secondary problem with PDR on the hood which is that a lot of areas on the hood are double wall. PDR is somewhere between a lot harder and impossible when you can't access the back side of the panel.
Yes this is a huge problem. The "X" underneath the hood covers alot of the dents. Making it hard to soften them out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Visited the 850 a bit today when I was at my parents. I had a few minutes to spend on it and decided to mount the lip even if it's not painted. Always thought it looked empty without it..

·
Registered
17,004 Posts

·
Registered
17,004 Posts
They have some cool stuff there.........but they don't ship to the states :(. I guess the only way to get stuff from them is send it to someone in the area and then have them forward it to the states.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts