SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had the S60 very long and not sure if the turbo is working or not, engine runs well and no warning lights or messages on the dash but compared to the other turbo diesel I've had I don't feel it kick in at all.
Is their some simple checks I can do to confirm if the turbo is working or not?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Easiest thing to do would be to plumb in a boost gauge to see if it's working or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
An easier solution would be to buy a Bluetooth obd adapter( 12 dollars or so on Amazon) and get the torque app , or obd doctor. If you are an iPhone user you will need an adapter that sends data over WiFi( ios is stingy with the Bluetooth access) a lot less labor intensive and less expensive, not as accurate but you will know if it is working.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input guys, it would appear the turbo kicks in at 1400rpm the S60 accelerates so smoothly you hardly feel it!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
they do get worn out, all the ones ive seen after 150k they develop some shaft play and lose some efficiency, you will notice gas mileage isnt what its suppose to be

you should hear it going shhhhh up long steep hills with the window down, definitely should feel it kick in once in 3rd gear

best to use vacuum gauge or connect something to obd2 port that will show boost pressure like VIDA/DICE

i replaced the turbo on my 2.5T S80 after 200k miles, old one had lots of side to side shaft play compared to the 50k unit i put in which had none, gas mileage immediately went up, i had to replace boost control solenoid soon after due to fluctuating boost but after that its been great

turbos are the best :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they do get worn out, all the ones ive seen after 150k they develop some shaft play and lose some efficiency, you will notice gas mileage isnt what its suppose to be

you should hear it going shhhhh up long steep hills with the window down, definitely should feel it kick in once in 3rd gear

best to use vacuum gauge or connect something to obd2 port that will show boost pressure like VIDA/DICE

i replaced the turbo on my 2.5T S80 after 200k miles, old one had lots of side to side shaft play compared to the 50k unit i put in which had none, gas mileage immediately went up, i had to replace boost control solenoid soon after due to fluctuating boost but after that its been great

turbos are the best :thumbup:
Mines got 154,000 miles on it, gas mileage combined was 46 mpg at the last fill up which is about right. Will listen for the shhhh sound next time I have it out!

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Remove the air box lid and you will really hear it.

Also disconnect the TCV. If it runs like a dog with it disconnected and power is restored when it reconnected then you know the turbo is working. This may set a CEL, but it should clear when the TCV is reconnected after a couple miles.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Well when he said gas not fuel mileage that probably threw alot of people off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
661 Posts
An easier solution would be to buy a Bluetooth obd adapter( 12 dollars or so on Amazon) and get the torque app , or obd doctor. If you are an iPhone user you will need an adapter that sends data over WiFi( ios is stingy with the Bluetooth access) a lot less labor intensive and less expensive, not as accurate but you will know if it is working.

2003 s60 2.4t fwd.
Lol I have the torque app the boost and vacuum dont work. I plug my Bluetooth adapter in many N/A cars and I get a reading that they are boosting. Mostly everything else though is accurate with the app

·
Registered
253 Posts
Works great on mine. Try to adjust boost calculation method in settings . I use "prefer maf".

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well on my 2.5T petrol when I did my turbo upgrade my 2 outer exhaust runners were leaking badly so I was only boosting 5psi.
I now hit 12psi with full exhaust, still need a tune though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts