SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine: T5

Normal acceleration is fine. Yesterday during turbo boost, revs up high, stays for over a second before engaging to the next gear. Previous it was instantaneous change of gears. Also, after the gears change, the car felt like it is choking. This occured a few times. Car was warmed (was driven for over an hour before I boosted).
Only change has been my driving patterns. Due to high gas prices, I haven't engaged the turbo in over a week, I mean fully engage. Just used it yesterday a few times and found this problem. I'm wondering if it could be bad gas (for the choking/gasping for more gas). Perhaps the extreme hot weather?

Anybody have this problem?

Karim.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Maybe a combination of all of those things....heat is a bummer on our turbo's...commonly known as heat-soak.

Did you change to a lower octane gas too (though you don't mention it- you mention high prices)? It would most definitely cause this. So, if you bought gas at a place you don't usually, you might have gotten some lower rated gas, maybe without even realizing it. Try Exxon or better yet, Chevron with Techron and I'll bet it will make a difference...but still, the heat does have an affect.

·
Registered
661 Posts
We recommend our customers to use premium gas in their turbo cars. Try a tank of premium and I bet your problem will go away just like madeinjapan said.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (RussBert)

Okay, everything is now working fine, switched to premium gas. Only concern is SMOKE. When I drive normal, all is okay. When I use TURBO, I get a white colour smoke coming from the engine area. Opened the hood and it's coming from below, somewhere in the back. Car runs fine, boost is normal. Anybody have this one?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Sounds like your oil return line from the turbo is dumping oil onto a hot manifold. This is not only smelly but a source for a fire...get it fixed as soon as possible. If you're a DIY guy, you can even do it yourself. Instructions are on Bay13 and parts can easily be bought from both IPD and fcpgroton. You'll need the gasket and the 0-ring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts