SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2001 V-70 XC whose turbo broke down after 87,000 miles. I just bought a 2006 XC-70 and I am wondering whether I should get a turbo timer.<p>Does anyone have suggestions or experience with a turbo timer? And exactly what product should I buy?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Turbo timer for 2006 XC70 (shaguar)

No, not necessary, try changing your oil more frequently

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: Turbo timer for 2006 XC70 (JRL)

agreed...volvo turbos very rarely go bad UNLESS the oil is really neglected<br>take a look at the underside of the oil filler car and i bet its all sludged up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Turbo timer for 2006 XC70 (cop R top)

I changed the oil every three or for thousand miles. I have had this car since January 2003. I expected to drive it a lot more. All of a sudden huge amounts of white smoke came billowing out and I had the car towed to the dealership. They said the rear seal needed replacing, the catalytic converter needed replacing, turbo etc. It would have cost thousands to repair so I traded it in.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>shaguar</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I changed the oil every three or for thousand miles. I have had this car since January 2003. I expected to drive it a lot more. All of a sudden huge amounts of white smoke came billowing out and I had the car towed to the dealership. They said the rear seal needed replacing, the catalytic converter needed replacing, turbo etc. It would have cost thousands to repair so I traded it in.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Unfortuately the first owner probably NEVER changed the oil and throughly abused the car.<br>Even with "light" maintenance, your car IS the exception as all of this rarely happens at 80K miles, and especially all at once

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>shaguar</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I changed the oil every three or for thousand miles. I have had this car since January 2003. I expected to drive it a lot more. All of a sudden huge amounts of white smoke came billowing out and I had the car towed to the dealership. They said the rear seal needed replacing, the catalytic converter needed replacing, turbo etc. It would have cost thousands to repair so I traded it in.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Isn't white smole a sign that the anti-freeze fluid has been leaking into the cylinders?<p>Yannis

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Turbo timer for 2006 XC70 (GrecianVolvo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>GrecianVolvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Isn't white smole a sign that the anti-freeze fluid has been leaking into the cylinders?<p>Yannis</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Not if it billows out, classic blown turbo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Turbo timer for 2006 XC70 (JRL)

Three years ago I also had a white smoke problem. Wasn't that the problem that caused a recall back then about the radiator fan?<br>Also we recently noticed leaks on the garage floor. I assume it was oil. A non-Volvo mechanic said it was a leaky gasket. the Volvo people said no. <p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts