SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm waiting on a replacement K24 turbo and am wondering how difficult it is to remove and install? Is there anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you are good about reaching up over the AG to remove the turbo plumbing, it is possible to take the turbo in and out of the top without having to pull the right driveshaft and angle gear. If you remove the nut on the top of the rear motor mount, pull the heater hoses and remove the top motor mount, its not too difficult to tilt the motor forward a little and pull it out the space where the heater hoses used to be.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
As far as what to watch out for, rusted exhaust fasteners. If you are in an area where they salt the roads it could be treacherous.

One way or the other, soak all the studs and nuts with something like liquid wrench when things are still pretty hot and let it pentrate and soak for a while to make the best of it, salted roads or not.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Stealthy.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you are good about reaching up over the AG to remove the turbo plumbing, it is possible to take the turbo in and out of the top without having to pull the right driveshaft and angle gear. If you remove the nut on the top of the rear motor mount, pull the heater hoses and remove the top motor mount, its not too difficult to tilt the motor forward a little and pull it out the space where the heater hoses used to be.
Removing the heater hoses and tilting the motor would help but it's not necessary. Pulling the angle gear out first is definitely doing things the hard way.

I did an oil and coolant swap at the same time. I'm not near my car ATM but if I remember correctly, I drained my oil. Drained my coolant. Removed the upper torque rod(strut tower brace) and the upper engine mount. Removed the OTE charge pipe. Removed the heat shield(s) from the exhaust manifold.

I forget the order I used here:
Loosened and remove the induction plumbing(airbox to turbo). Unscrewed the coolant and oil feed lines from the turbo. Unbolted the upper bolts from the turbo to the exhaust manifold. Unbolted the upper bolts from the turbo to the downpipe.

I forget the order I used under the car too :-/
I unbolted the downpipe and removed the last bolts from the turbo to the exhaust manifold. Then I removed the coolant and oil return lines. I can't recall but this was a little tougher since with the angle gear in the way, it's a pretty tight space.

Pull the turbo out of the top. It's a tight squeeze but it can be negotiated with a little finesse.

--You'll love yourself for having a small, swiveling baby ratchet for those oil and coolant return lines since they're above/behind the angle gear in a tight space and for some of them their view is completely obscured by the AG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts