SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone describe what the shaft play feels like?

My new 16T's has a slight left to right movement but that's it. Is at normal or should I not be able to slide the shaft at all?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
can I please get a that's what she said?

·
Registered
748 Posts
slight left to right play is normal, once the oil is circulating there should be no play at all.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
can I please get a that's what she said?
Quit making jokes, this is serious. Chris is just now learning how to play with his shaft.

Chris - If you come down to the SoMD get-together this weekend, I'll play with your shaft.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have seen that coming. :D

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
That sounds normal. In-Out play would be bad, left-right just wiggles in the small space where the oil surrounds the bearings, as stated earlier.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it is sort of in and out, depending on how you visualize.

If I grab on both ends I can push/pull, it may be a slight 1/8th inch sort of movement.

I just want to double check before I pull the 13T again.

Thanks

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Well it is sort of in and out, depending on how you visualize.

If I grab on both ends I can push/pull, it may be a slight 1/8th inch sort of movement.

I just want to double check before I pull the 13T again.
I don't think I'll touch this comment with a 10' pole!! :facepalm::rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Is the turbo dry? If so, what you're experiencing wouldn't be out of the question.

I had the same worry, but once I installed the turbo the shaft play nearly disappeared after running some oil through it.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes - brand new 16T out of the box.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Minimal axial & radial play would be normal for a journal bearing turbo, since the shaft will 'float' once pressurized oil is circulating the two bearings. Really shouldn't be discernible end float (axial play), certainly not 1/8th inch - that is substantial. A few thousands, maybe.

·
Administrator
55,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after looking at a ruler, 1/8" is high. it feels more like 1 or 2 mm. I'm sure it's fine but I'll try to get a measurement versus "feel".

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Maybe try pouring some oil in the top port to get some lubrication in there? See how it feels after the shaft is lubed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts