SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a spark plug change over, discounted the turbo intake by the firewall and I believe a star bit may have fallen into the discounted intake. If so, will it cause a problem when the car is started? I'm not even sure if the bit is in there. Couldn't find the bit under the car. Dropped the lower skid cover and it wasn't there. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
if it is in the turbo, yes. do not start it until you take a look....
grab a mirror and a magnet

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Uh YES!
If that bit gets sucked into your turbo you will be in a world of hurt.
Keep trying to find it before you drive it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was doing a spark plug change over, discounted the turbo intake by the firewall and I believe a star bit may have fallen into the discounted intake. If so, will it cause a problem when the car is started? I'm not even sure if the bit is in there. Couldn't find the bit under the car. Dropped the lower skid cover and it wasn't there. Any ideas?
Get a magnet on a stick at local Auto part store. This has happened to me . It take a few trys and you may have to alter the magnet setup so it will get all the way to the bottom of the Turbo.. Do not try to start your car unless you are 100% sure its not in there... I also removed the low side intake and used my phone camera with flash on. Moved the wheel between pics and you could see the bit in the pics when it happened to me..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
dropped mine while taking it off, it went to a little crevice in between the turbo and the transmission back there... you can't see it, you can (maybe) feel it... it took 45 minutes of fishing to finally get it back out.

If you are not 100% sure that it did NOT fall into the turbo, then you could just let it go... but if there is any chance, don't risk it... besides, better to know for sure.

Magnets and a very long set of needle nose pliers, and an extra long screw driver... and I ended up getting it from underneath.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I usually stuff a towel into my turbo inlet if I'm working on the car and have the piping off.

Does no one else do this?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
When ever i have anything open I block it off.... from cars to plumbing.
Bet the OP will next time.

OP did you find the bit yet?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I usually stuff a towel into my turbo inlet if I'm working on the car and have the piping off.

Does no one else do this?
yup, any time I have an open pipe like that. same as covering the intake holes on the head when you take off the manifold.

insurance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts