SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of replacing my turbo with a rebuilt k24 and I am running into a snag trying to get the turbo out. Vida says to remove the passenger axle and angle gear but I have completely unbolted the turbo from the manifold and disconnected all of the coolant and oil lines from the turbo without removing the axle or angle gear. I am having trouble getting the turbo out around the oil and coolant lines. Anyone been here before and have any tips or tricks? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and remove the angle gear and axle to get access to remove oil and coolant lines from the block? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I can't tell you because I took mine out of the top, but it required unbolting the rear engine mount and jacking it forward, disconnecting the heater hoses and it was still a tight squeeze to get the old one out and the new one in. Saved me all the hassle of pulling AGs and driveshafts though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how far forward did you have to jack the engine to get enough room to get it out of there?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would rather take it out the top if I could.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I jacked it up till I could barely squeeze it up by where the heater hoses connect to the firewall, but with them disconnected and pushed aside for the room it took to take it up that way. By disconnecting the rear mount via the top nut that holds it to the mount, I was able to tilt the engine forward the few inches it took. If memory serves me correctly I also had to remove the top torque mount from the head to create the room to pop it out since the way the windshield cowl comes out acts as an obstruction. Finangling the turbo out there is all the magic it takes, once you get the compressor angled out the exhaust side pretty easily follows.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was able to remove it out of the top as well, and I didn't have to jack up the engine. Almost got to that point but finally got it to pop out.

I did remove both oil lines from the engine (they made it hard to move the turbo around) and pulled the engine mount and one of the heater hoses as already mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts