SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so today i realized after taking off my downpipe that there is a crack in the inside of the turbo. It has been running fine, pushing 15 psi (its not tuned) so i wouldn't have realized unless i looked at it. Im looking into my options, what is a good EASY set up? opinions of options is extremely appreciated :)

-
Sophie

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It's a K24... it happens. You can buy another K24. New they're like $1k. If you want to upgrade the easiest is probably a hybrid K24...

·
Registered
272 Posts
What kind of crack? in the housing? Thats normal EVERYONE has a crack... if your looking to upgrade while your there you can upgrade your k24 through vivaperformance with a bigger compressor wheel...Or If you have the supporting mods i recommend IPD's 4t4...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I would rock it out. Most of them crack and work just fine. The crack is usually on the exhaust housing side near the wastegate and doesn't pose much of a threat to failure. The turbine and bearings and compressor are on another piece of the turbo so very unlikely they will be damaged by the exhaust housing crack.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oceans60R like you said the crack is on the exhaust housing near the waste gate :), so like you said i think I'm okay. Maverick,I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger compressor wheel, but I'm not too familiar with them/ which one i should go with... need help with this!

·
Registered
272 Posts
11 blade for more pull at redline 7+7 for low end torque and definitely get a tune....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmm think I'm gonna go with the 7+7 do i need to get machine work done for it to fit? or balanced?.. not sure were id send it off to in order to get it done. Im over here in Northern California :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's a K24... it happens. You can buy another K24. New they're like $1k. If you want to upgrade the easiest is probably a hybrid K24...
Just trying to get a better understanding.. when people mention a hybrid K24, they usually mean a K24 with a bigger compressor wheel/bored housing, correct?

I have always been under the assumption that it was referring to a K24/26 hybrid. :p

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Just trying to get a better understanding.. when people mention a hybrid K24, they usually mean a K24 with a bigger compressor wheel/bored housing, correct?

I have always been under the assumption that it was referring to a K24/26 hybrid. :p
Uhuh. Bigger wheel, milled housing.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
mmm think I'm gonna go with the 7+7 do i need to get machine work done for it to fit? or balanced?.. not sure were id send it off to in order to get it done. Im over here in Northern California :)
"Hybrid" refers to installing a K26 compressor wheel and internals into a K24 housing, so it's quite involved needs to be performed by a turbo specific shop. There are many around such as Pure Turbo in SoCal or Majestic Turbo in Texas. My hybrid is on its way back from Majestic, who incidentally did the first true hybrid the the R back in 2005 / 2006. You will also need a tune and larger injectors at a minimum to prevent a lean condition and maximize performance.

Sophie - I highly recommend speaking with Jeremy at AE Performance in Santa Cruz if this is the route you want to take.

As others have stated, cracks in K24 housings are very common and not a concern if you're holding boost.

There are a bunch of us NorCal R owners on the Bay Area Band Volvo owners group if your not already on it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Pretty much the stock K24 turbo we have is a basic bitch, and they all crack at some point. I hardly ever see used ones that don't have at least a small crack.

Ride that mother ****er till the wheels fall off! But for real unless there is so bad that broken bits of metal start falling out you will be fine with that turbo for now.

Turbos, exhaust manifold, O2 sensor housings all crack a bunch in some turbo cars.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
What Neal Said :thumbup:

I am thinking it's fuel choice with boost level.The turbo I took off had no cracks which amazed me in how I used it, but I run 100 octane 99% of the time when I use boost levels over 20 lbs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts