SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 V70XC that has leak at the turbo oil return line seal at the engine block. I tried to replace the first time by putting the seal in the block and then dropping the turbo back in place while guiding the return line into the block. No luck I dinged up the seal. Tried to replace the second time by putting the seal on the turbo return line and then dropping the turbo back in while hand guiding the return line into the block. Thought I had it this time but upon driving I am leaking again so must not have gotten the seal seated good. Does anyone have any suggestions on proper way to install the seal or a way that has worked for them so when I go for try no. 3 I have a better chance of success?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Unbolt the oil return line from the turbo. There are two hex bolts that hold it in. Then from under the car seat the seal on the line and place it in the block...then bolt the top back onto the bottom of the turbo. Sounds like you unbolted the turbo which is not necessary.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Turbo Oil Return Line Seal Replacement (oregonxc)

I had the turbo out as had to install a new cylinder head as lost a valve. I looked under the car at possibly removing the drain line but there is a very small access area to even get a look up at it ( can't even get my hand through the area directly below the turbo) and I was afraid I would have a terrible time getting the drain line connected back up to the turbo with the T-bolts. Do you access these bolts from directly below the drain line or try to come in from the side with a mirror to see it? Any special tools you use or any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Re: Turbo Oil Return Line Seal Replacement (oregonxc)

It is harder to do this job on an AWD vehicle. The FWD models are fairly easy but access is tougher on AWD cars. I know I have seen directions on one of the websites- you may check Bay 13 or Matthew's Volvosite, or even ipd's instructions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts