SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys so ive been having problems with the oil return feed line leaking on my turbo and i have also had a hard time finding the replacement gasket & O ring so i was wandering if anyone here has replace any of these lines with anything other than the factory parts. I was thinking about tapping the turbo and oilpan and installing my own fittings and my own lines and i wanted to see if anyone here has any input that could help me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hi guys so ive been having problems with the oil return feed line leaking on my turbo and i have also had a hard time finding the replacement gasket & O ring so i was wandering if anyone here has replace any of these lines with anything other than the factory parts. I was thinking about tapping the turbo and oilpan and installing my own fittings and my own lines and i wanted to see if anyone here has any input that could help me.

#5 on here http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1105992&ukey_assembly=1182357

If you're looking for generic replacements, they make a gasket material you can cut to fit and you can pick it up at any auto store. they also make generic turbo rebuild kits you can find the seals for the turbo from ebay. For some reason this turbo drain looks like the same size as my 04 dodge cummins, so you might be able to find it there.

I would avoid tapping your own fittings into the turbo. It would require an expansion plug to seal the old one, and if your fittings aren't 100% spot on and your PCV system fails, you'll have leaks from your new fittings from then on until you fixed one or both of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#5 on here http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=1105992&ukey_assembly=1182357

If you're looking for generic replacements, they make a gasket material you can cut to fit and you can pick it up at any auto store. they also make generic turbo rebuild kits you can find the seals for the turbo from ebay. For some reason this turbo drain looks like the same size as my 04 dodge cummins, so you might be able to find it there.

I would avoid tapping your own fittings into the turbo. It would require an expansion plug to seal the old one, and if your fittings aren't 100% spot on and your PCV system fails, you'll have leaks from your new fittings from then on until you fixed one or both of them.
The gasket that's on the turbo side of the return line on my car is a Kevlar gasket. Out of curiosity what would I need the expansion plug for?

Basicly what im gonna do if i decide to actually tap the turbo and the oil pan I was just going to use the pre-existing holes that are there, this is the style fittings im gonna use.

They are self sealing or i was gonna use brass fittings sealed with teflon tape and pipe dope and all the lines im planning on using are high pressure and high temp hydraulic lines.

But before i decide to do that i have to pin point the actually leak i just read a different thread that says it could be the copper crush rings so i have to look and see if its one of them first and hope that if they where service before that they they weren't over tightened and if they where it doesnt rip threads out when i take the bolts out.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
For sure man, double check the start of the leak, if it's the crush rings it's a simple changeout as long as they're not seized. I'm sure you can find kevlar impregnated gasket material as well in bulk too for cheap. If not I'd go to a dodge dealership and check out their 03-07 cummins 5.9 turbo gasket and see if they're the same size. When I was under there, they looked really close in size if not exactly the same.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea im really hoping that it's not the crush rings and if it it that there not seized

1 - 5 of 5 Posts