SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so the lower of the 3 bolts on the turbo to the down pipe seized and snapped while doing the downpipe upgrade and now i have an exhaust leak. My question is whether its possible to remove the turbo from the R without taking out the angle gear/bevel gear. Is it possible to maneuver the turbo around the bevel gear from underneath or can i remove the upper engine mount/stability bar and yank the turbo from the top?

Or does anyone know of a drill that can fit in the small space and drill that sucker out while still on the car?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
It is possible to get the turbo out without taking out the angle gear, I just recently did so, but its takes a lot of work since you have to get to all the turbo bolts in a very tiny workspace above it which takes a good set of tools and talented hands.

You also have to unbolt the rear engine mount and tilt the engine forward to get the turbo out of the top which is also much easier said than done. If I were to do it again, I'd probably take the AG out though.

I could be mistaken, but I think there is enough room to get a normal sized drill in there to get it. First you might want to see where the stud snapped to see if there is enough left to grab and twist it out. All my exhaust studs came out easy, but then again I don't have much corrosion on my car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts