SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat shield on my turbo has been rattling for a while and it's starting to annoy me. Would it be really bad if I just took it off? I'm not interested in buying a new one right now , I was just wondering what would happen..

Thanks
Seamus

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
The heat shield on my turbo has been rattling for a while and it's starting to annoy me. Would it be really bad if I just took it off? I'm not interested in buying a new one right now , I was just wondering what would happen..

Thanks
Seamus
I could be wrong. But I think it's glued onto the insulation behind it as well. And ripping it off tears a ton of that insulation off.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Just undo the bolts and pull it out, no need to worry. I just kept mine off after doing multiple turbo stuffs, makes it much easier to peek in or snug up the banjo bolts. I've went 100,000 miles or so without it and everything is okie dokie.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok i'll just take it off then

thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Just be carefull, the heat produced by the turbo will kill your firewall protect rug.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jegs has plenty of heat shield/wrapping very cheap. At the least you may want to put some of that adhesive backed foil stuff from them on there

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'll probably end up putting something on it. I just want to get rid of the annoying rattling. The heat shield completely rusted off the bolt holding it on. I cant just put another bolt on either cause part of the heat shield is also on the bolt. It must be from the high heat

·
Registered
581 Posts
My 3" downpipe rattles on the heat shield and I live with it. Any kind of heat shield would appear to be important IMO.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Look, nothing bad is going to come of removing the turbo heatshield, you are not going to catch anything on fire, nothing will melt, the hood paint won't peel, etc....... the only downside is that the turbo actually prefers to be hot, it runs minutely more efficient when it stays hot. Look over on VS where people actually take their cars apart frequently, you'll see tons of cars with big GT series turbos sitting right out in the open and they don't have problems. I have been messing with turbo cars for a long time and don't think I ever ended up keeping the stock shielding in place for the life of of the car, nothing ever melted on any of my cars.

So feel free to remove it to stop the rattling, if you are really worried for some reason than get a turbo blanket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts