SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the mechanic took my turbo out to see what happened...here is what we found.

i always had turbo boosting issues...now i know what happened, lol.

we found a piece of intake valve when the engine belt snapped and the little piece ended on the turbo exhaust wheel.. here are the turbo exhaust wheel pic

we can put the turbo exhaust wheel back on (i think thats how its named, if not correct me)
but i think some boost its going to be lost when boosting, because of what the little piece made to the "wheel"

anyplace where they sell this (replacement turbo exhaust wheel) or a upgrade?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I too would be interested to hear what options there are for upgrading wheels on our stock turbo; since our exhaust housing is connected to the exhaust manifold.

Maybe there is a solution where the stock exhaust housing is kept, but the rest of the turbo can be swapped?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
http://turbodirect.co.za/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=751:k04r-400hp-billet-compressor-wheel&catid=17:turbo

7000 Rand? That converts to 915.14 USD, doesn't seem too bad at all, especially when compared to the price of a K16 swap.

But they're claiming 400hp. That seems a little high, let me convert the power numbers on c30world and I'll post them up here.

Here are the numbers from c30world: He starts with 228whp and 288ftlbs. Then with just the swap and no tune he makes 248whp and 303ftlbs. Then with the exhaust swap: 264whp and 317ftlbs. In summary he states that the wheel is good for another 40whp and 37ftlbs.

Maybe its not so worth it now that I see these numbers.

I just realized these are all FWD numbers.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Can buy a used turbo for a few hundred... Or squeeze a few more ponies out for almost a grand.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Seen used ones on eBay quite a few times... Or u rebuild with the upgraded wheels available overseas for bout double. Guess it depends on whether u wanna make lemonade out of those lemons. I'm sure u dropped a grip on the repairs though so might be best to just get a used replacement for the time being.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only one on ebay, remanufactured for 600...

i wish these cars were like vw and audi....more aftermarket support :S

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Item #'s

;)

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
I wouldn't offer that much - at least on the one that - They Hit with the Glass Beader , Daaa - looks like they didn't plug the Oil Feed etc.

So there would be Extra - careful cleaning Involved - Call - them and chew them down a Bit !

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't offer that much - at least on the one that - They Hit with the Glass Beader , Daaa - looks like they didn't plug the Oil Feed etc.

So there would be Extra - careful cleaning Involved - Call - them and chew them down a Bit !

What ? (i just understand the last part)

will do

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Item #'s

;)
Nice FF. that last one only has about 7k miles on it. if i were replacing with stocker that would be the get...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
So, the mechanic took my turbo out to see what happened...here is what we found.

i always had turbo boosting issues...now i know what happened, lol.

we found a piece of intake valve when the engine belt snapped and the little piece ended on the turbo exhaust wheel.. here are the turbo exhaust wheel pic

Ouch! So you didn't mention that your engine snapped the t-belt in the earlier thread.

Did you really break an intake valve? And, a piece of it was still inside the turbo? You may want to dig deeper inside the engine before you decide to replace the turbo. I'm assuming the head has been off and the cylinder walls/pistons checked, but with the turbo dead there hasn't been a lot of demand on them. If you restore the boost with a new turbo, you need to be sure everything else is ready for it. At least a thorough check with a bore scope...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ouch! So you didn't mention that your engine snapped the t-belt in the earlier thread.

Did you really break an intake valve? And, a piece of it was still inside the turbo? You may want to dig deeper inside the engine before you decide to replace the turbo. I'm assuming the head has been off and the cylinder walls/pistons checked, but with the turbo dead there hasn't been a lot of demand on them. If you restore the boost with a new turbo, you need to be sure everything else is ready for it. At least a thorough check with a bore scope...

i bought the car like that and then we rebuilt the engine

we open the engine and verify everything was ok and it was, obviously when rebuilding the engine we found a lot of residue of inside of it...pieces from the chewed piston and etc....
anyways thanks for the concern.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
67,127 miles to be exactly

in my opinion i think it broke earlier because of a faulty pcv ..making the camshaft seal to leak and therefore the belt got wet in oil and then broke earlier then it should

thats my theory....lol

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Actually not a bad theory, Volvo warned that too much vacuum exposure to the engine seals from the failed PCV could cause failure of the seals and potentially more.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Nice FF. that last one only has about 7k miles on it. if i were replacing with stocker that would be the get...
I agree with Slasher the 7K - turbo ( Quickly ) Turbo is a way better choice ,then the one I pointed to as being Haphazardly Cleaned , and Durry You do Know what a
Glass Beading cleaning is ? ( Fine Sand Blasting )

Tom ; is Spot on - - Bore Scope , and a Good Camera with Marco On to take close up's ----as most basic Bore Scopes have No built in Documentation method .
It's best to just Borrow one from a Tool rental place or a place that Sells them , get one with a Nice Screen , some will allow You to store to Memory Card . Idea is to get the
Images up on a Computer Screen where the Pictures will be Carefully Analyzed .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts