SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow I sprung a coolant leak last night on my drive home and this appears to have prevented coolant from going to the turbo and it cooked it. Oddly the temp gauge on the car (at 90+ degrees as well) didn't even go up a hair.

This is my daily driver so I'm looking for a quick and immediate solution as soon as possible (I'm in Salt Lake City area if anyone is local and/or has any leads). I'd also like to keep the spending to the minimum so I think I'm just looking for another stock 16T to bolt onto it?

Are the 18 and 19T big upgrades that are labor intensive? Do I need to change the exhaust? Also, I have an Orange ARD tune for the '98 R with the 16T, so I'm not sure if I would need a new burn with a bigger turbo? Only mods on the car are that tune and a IPD heavy duty boost control valve.

Also I have a slight weep from my rack and pinion. Is there any advantage to replacing this at the same time as the turbo, while I have it out?

And finally there are a ton of 2.4L cars all over the place with turbos readily available. It is completely bad form and/or will I drastically hurt performance with the 14T and this 16T? Oddly my old 14T 2.4 AWD performed nearly as well as my R does now, which is why I ask..

thanks

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
don't downgrade to the 14T, stick with at least the 16T.

If you upgrade, I'm sure lucky will give you a good deal on a re-tune for the new turbo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How easy is it to bolt on a 18t? Looks like I've now found 16 and 18ts locally in decent shape...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
It could be a direct bolt-in, but sometimes the coolant passages are different, requiring you to tap a new hole, and plug the existing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be a direct bolt-in, but sometimes the coolant passages are different, requiring you to tap a new hole, and plug the existing.
I did see that the exhaust housings are interchangeable. Mine is the straight flange the exhaust is stock. So I don't think it would matter too much...

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to just buy the 18T. Do you guys think there is strong risk of bending a rod with the orange tune and the 18T? I have to do a small road trip (300 miles) this weekend and would like to take the Volvo so I can pull our little boat. I have a message into Lucky but no answer yet. Not expecting one shortly with the holiday weekend..

thanks

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,433 Posts
I think I'm going to just buy the 18T. Do you guys think there is strong risk of bending a rod with the orange tune and the 18T? I have to do a small road trip (300 miles) this weekend and would like to take the Volvo so I can pull our little boat. I have a message into Lucky but no answer yet. Not expecting one shortly with the holiday weekend..

thanks
Your engine should be fine with the orange tune and an 18T. However, you will not realize the 18T's full potential with that tune, or with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to get the 18t from the junkyard and they had it marked wrong, turned out to be a 13t.. Doh!

With the 18t and that orange tune does it still beat the 16t on the freeway? I plan on a complete custom exhaust and likely a new tune, but will have to get there incrementally. Mostly with time not so muc the budget as a used 18t and exhaust shouldn't be too much $$. The question is if I just source another 18t for now or just get a 16t to be back on the road quickly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke extensively with lucky (thanks Lucky). He is saying there is a chance that I could bend rods with the 18 or 19T so it will need another flash. Getting a hell of a deal from him. Found a pretty good deal on another local 18T that I'll likely pick up. Last stage will be a clear 3" exhaust and then it should rip. Pretty excited about it actually...

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,433 Posts
Spoke extensively with lucky (thanks Lucky). He is saying there is a chance that I could bend rods with the 18 or 19T so it will need another flash. Getting a hell of a deal from him. Found a pretty good deal on another local 18T that I'll likely pick up. Last stage will be a clear 3" exhaust and then it should rip. Pretty excited about it actually...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:thumbup:
Now having a hell of a time finding a 18T or 19T locally. Every single one has ended up being a 13T from a XC70 that was mislabelled or something. They have a lot of trouble distinguishing whether the turbo came from a 2.3 or 2.4 and whether it was all wheel drive. Looks like I'm resorting to getting it shipped in. The compression test came back good so I think I'm good to go for these higher pressures...

Lucky recommends a boost gauge. Not sure where to put it that looks factory. I don't want to install pods/pillar. I would do a fuel/air too but again don't want things non factory. I have some boost gauges lying around though..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it ended up being a month that the car was down but I had a lot of fun with it with carpooling with friends etc. Pretty funny all in all.

But finally did end up getting an 18T and the blue tune from Lucky. All I can say is WOW the car is amazing and night and day. I finally now feel the car is no longer the slug it was and feels sort of like one of my old Saabs or any of the other ridiculously fast European cars I've owned in the past.

Super super happy. I love this old V70R, it keeps getting better and better and what a great car...

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
post some pics and Video!!!, nice to hear another happy costumer from ARD.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Where did you get your 18T?

·
Registered
305 Posts
junkyard turbo or other???

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks I will and I'll get photos of the bone stock R other than the 18T and the blue tune. It is right on the money and hits 18 psi when pushing it but it will fly up the largest freeway grade in America (Parley's Canyon in Utah between SLC and Park City -- my commute to work daily) at 80 mph and in overdrive without blinking. It is just awesome... Most of the time it will hit 12 psi at most to keep it in OD at these speeds, so it doesn't even use most of the boost it (can) make and as I mentioned above, really woke the car up...

To find a 18T, I tried and tried and tried via junk yards and car-part.com and Volvo and Saab dismantlers in California. I must have called 15 or 20 places throughout the west including everything local and made a few stops to their various locations as its amazing how hard it is to find (and verify) that its a turbo from a '99 AWD 2.3L (R). Volvo and Saab even briefly sent me another 16t (that ended up being bad). I wouldn't rip on them except that they swore it was an 18T, took 2 days verifying that it was a 18T before it shipped, and then on top of that it ended up having bad bearings and a ton of shaft play so I couldn't even use if with the orange tune. So I wasted another week with that unfortunately. Here is a vid comparing the old turbo and the new that I made for them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO9oH-xMJdA

So that sucked. In all I was down for about a month mostly trying to find a good deal on a usable turbo at less than $600. But I came across this, used an auction sniper, and it was a good deal and in great shape. He even shipped in and had it to me in 2 days...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177585-18T-on-Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...96326067&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466#ht_500wt_1413

Worked great so now to leave some positive feedback... :)

And again, I cannot say good enough things about Lucky. Great customer service and an extremely quality product... Pretty excited about his new web site as well (www.ardideas.com)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts