SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure, so I'm asking the SS community - is there a difference in design / function between auto / manual t5 turbos? Difference between turbos in C30 t5 vs. S40 t5?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nope. Same unit, same manifold.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting - I'm starting to suspect that my turbo seals are letting go and thus blowing oil through the intake side (intake tube is lightly coated with oil) and causing oil consumption. I can find low-mileage turbos all day on ebay for around $200, which is far cheaper than finding a shop to rebuild - assuming there is a shop in your city that will do that, I mean.

I just need confirmation that the auto / manual units are the same - some manufactorers change turbo size based on trans (ala Ford)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They are supposed to be the same turbo. Auto, manual. C30,v50, c70 and s40. If it is a T5, they will be the same turbo.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Do something crazy with the new turbo like a new compression wheel or something.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
They are supposed to be the same turbo. Auto, manual. C30,v50, c70 and s40. If it is a T5, they will be the same turbo.
Ehhhh wellll that depends. I think there was a period in 2004 - 5 when the C70 was the old style turbo with the exhaust on the other side. BTW I have this just sitting around. I need the manifold for a jig but I will sell you the full turbo minus the turbine housing/mani. PM me if interested. It is from a S40... I think 08.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
C70 has to be the newer style, 2007 -2014 if im not mistaken

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
FYI IF the turbo is bad on the compressor side and thats a big if, it may be easier and cheaper to pull the bearing housing rather than the manifold since you dont need to get the head studs off and replace the gasket.

Do yourself a favor and borrow a dial gauge from somebody and check the axial play (also called thrust) on the compressor side by removing the intake. If the thrust is in spec it is HIGHLY unlikely that the turbo is bad. In fact you are more likely to see smoke coming from the exhaust first before you loose oil on the compressor side. It is much more common to burn oil in the turbine housing since the turbo shaft piston rings are on the hot side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts