SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been losing about a quarter inch of coolant every time I stretch the R's legs. I bought a coolant hydrocarbon test kit and held my breath, never been so happy to see the color blue.
I was never seeing any coolant on the ground, but whenever I would give it the beans I could smell it burning and I would be down another quarter inch... Finally I got under the car to see coolant all over the rear of the front subframe on the drivers side, I am guessing my problem is the turbo coolant lines or somewhere abouts....

Who's done the job? Is it a day thing or am I looking at pulling an angle gear or turbo to get to these???

Gcnaz1Cl.jpg

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, I found the issue....

A week or so ago I did the radiator and while I was in there I replaced all the vacuum lines and the check valves. Turns out, if you put the check valves in backwards your car gets really angry... check valves on the evap, pictured in this thread(not my thread), https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?578049-Need-help-with-a-part-identification

It appears at wide open throttle, I was getting some severe pressure in the engine and causing it to blow coolant out of some line in the back, I never actually found where it was coming from even after removing the intake and everything. But the coolant was all over the brake booster, back of the transmission and back of the subframe.
After fixing check valve orientation I no longer lose coolant, car also runs better(imagine that).

Don't be like me, double check your check valves...

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I was so scared for this when I replaced mine. Did you replace the hoses as well? The barbs on the check valve are supposed to be different sizes, to make sure that they don't get installed backwards.

I'm pretty sure I've got mine right, but now you have me wondering, I replaced the lines with brand new silicone ones. Not sure if they were different sizes haha

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did replace the lines. I really thought I was careful too. I only got one backwards...
I was replacing the radiator, overflow, hoses, air filter, vac/evap lines and the check valves. Guess my wife was right about me being terrible at multitasking.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Heater core more likely I think... there's only like 2" rubber on the turbo lines.

·
Registered
366 Posts
How is your cooling system interlinked with anything vacuum related?

Isn't the system sealed aside from the overflow bottle cap which can vent a little and maybe a weep hole on the pump itself?

Everything else should be tight and sealed.... Hose clamps, rad drain valve, block drain, hard lines, and all other connections should be totally sealed and capable of holding significant pressure.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think they are, but my leak stopped once I fixed the evap lines. I still think a turbo line was causing it, but it has temporarily quit leaking

1 - 7 of 7 Posts