SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAR: V60 2011 D5 205bhp D5244T10
I have been having some bad performance in the low speed acceleration lately. When I move from a stopped position and try to accelerate to about 30 km/h, the instantaneous fuel consumption goes to 30l/100km and the acceleration is really slow. It is a pain to get to second gear. I connected VIDA today and checked the live data for fuel, air, turbo and here are some strange findings. I hope that someone can help me decipher the live data correctly.

1. ECM - Boost pressure
There are two values in VIDA - Boost pressure and Boost pressure desired value. From what I get from the VIDA manuals, one is the actual Boost pressure that tries to be as close to the other value - the desired pressure that the car computer needs.
I have a discrepancy in those values. Here is a picture. Boost pressure is in hPa while the desired value is in kPa.
White Line Material property

While driving the live data looked like this:
White Daytime Line Sky Font

The boost pressure is following the line of the desired value from the ECU, but the two values have around 15 to 20 kPa difference.
Is that normal?

2. The Alternator current that has to charge the battery is below the normal value VIDA has for my car. While stationary the Alternator is at ~35A, while I drive it goes some times over 45A, but in city driving it stays ~40A even as the speed of the car is over 60 km/h.
White Line

Do you think there is a problem with the Alternator or this is again normal for this car?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I don't think the value listed in the VIDA readout is battery charge current. 36.6A is way too high for battery charging. It is probably the total output current of the alternator which powers all vehicle equipment in addition to charging the battery. It will vary with what ever equipment you're currently using.

BTW, a lower number there is a good thing. Lower current mean less load on the engine from the alternator which equates to better fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
CAR: V60 2011 D5 205bhp D5244T10
needs.
The boost pressure is following the line of the desired value from the ECU, but the two values have around 15 to 20 kPa difference.
Is that normal?
The measured boost pressure is a little lower than what was requested, but it was still rising when you let off the gas. Had you stayed on the gass a little longer, it looks like the measured value would have caught up with the desired value.

Looks normal to me, but be advised I've never examined Volvo data like this before.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess it is normal. I checked the turbo lines for the boost today and they seem fine. While looking at the turbos I spotted something "strange". At some point in time, some one has put some cherries pits on top of the fuel injectors and one of them is actually bolted inside. I'm the second owner of the car.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line Car

Auto part Rust Metal

I removed what I can get to, but the bolted one is still there. Will have to go to my local dealer to get this out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, I guess it is normal. I checked the turbo lines for the boost today and they seem fine. While looking at the turbos I spotted something "strange". At some point in time, some one has put some cherries pits on top of the fuel injectors and one of them is actually bolted inside. I'm the second owner of the car.

I removed what I can get to, but the bolted one is still there. Will have to go to my local dealer to get this out.
You sir have a rodent issue! Please check for chewed up electrical wires also.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
You sir have a rodent issue! Please check for chewed up electrical wires also.
+1 - no one would just leave those in your engine bay. It doesn't take long for something to find its way under your hood, daily driver or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts