SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... I just bought a '95 850 Turbo (160k). Whenever I lay into the gas, the turbo does not seem to have all that much affect. It barely gets into the white area of the turbo guage. My friend has a 1.8T Jetta, and you can definately feel it when the turbo kicks in on his car (as well as hear it). I have 5 turns on the wastegate. I am using 89 octane gas. Is this common w/ 850's, or am I doing something wrong? Look forward to hearing your input.<P>-Greg

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I would say all the turbo lines need to be checked. My roomates 850 T-5 he just bought did the same thing. He gave the car to Volvo and they fixed all the lines and one of the mechanics took it home to give it a good run to check it out. Now the car hauls ass!!! Very strong pull when the turbo kicks in. <BR>Its funny, he got the car from a distributor and the guy told him it was a light pressure model with around 180hp(?). His manual says the car has 222hp and after the turbo lines got fixed all 222hp was back.<BR>I'll ask him what he paid for the fix when he gets back from up north later on today.<BR>Good Luck!<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response... I'd be very interested to see how much something like that would cost to have fixed.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
At that mileage, it could definitely be a boost leak. Just look around and feel the intercooler hoses and vacuum lines for cracks.<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guys know of any good diagrams for the intercooler/vacuum lines? This is the first car that I have actually taken an interest in maintenance in, so I'm still kind of learning the underside of the hood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Greg

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
An excellent site for the do-it-yourself 850 owners is <A HREF="http://www.volvospeed.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.volvospeed.com/</A> <P>I think if you look under maintenance/repair you may find some good photos and written instructions.<P>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips guys... I was wondering... about how far into the white area does your turbo gauge go? Mine barely goes a quarter of the way into the white area. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
The fix was about $250 cnd. Mostly labor. I think your guage needle should farther in the white when you stomp on it. My guess is a leak somewhere. Not a big fix, but big reward.<P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts