SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Re: Tuning up my wagon...WOW! (MrGismo)

Unless this car has been really abused, it is not likely that it needs a valve job. Usually, the only thing that needs servicing are the little rubber 'dampers' that sit on top of the valve stem under the buckets. To do this, you need to remove the overhead cam and pull the buckets up. If you are going to do this, you will also replace the timing belt and borrow/rent a shim kit and buckeet lifter so that you can go ahead and adjust the valves at the same time - and might as well check the cam, aux, and front main shaft seals as well. If you have any desire for a cam, schedule this at the same time. And while you are doing all of this, check the water pump too. If you don't need a timing belt at this time, I would wait until you do. I used to change the shaft seals every other timing belt change.

In the meantime, go with the sway bars, chassis braces (upper and lower), and please check the rear suspension bushings - especially the big ones (special tool needed to change). If you do these, replace the torque rod bushes with the urethane ones at the same time. With the tune-up, this will make the car a lot more fun to drive!

Steve

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.