SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum that can't be P* tuned . I think thre was some issue with this specific model's chassis that made tuning a no-go. I put my VIN into the Polestar site and receive "No optimisation found! Please check your entry again or contact [email protected] for further assistance."

What are the non-P* options for me in the US? Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of any options? I think Heico is an option but not sure if I can get that in the US.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
2018 T5 is listed there, and only VIN search is not success? I'd email them to double check. I don't think P* tune is related to chassis.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I double checked and so did my dealer. It's a specific subset of the 2018 S90 T5s that can't be tuned. A bit annoying.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
I double checked and so did my dealer. It's a specific subset of the 2018 S90 T5s that can't be tuned. A bit annoying.
Ah, if you don't mind some risk, there is a thread seems to be helpful. I'm just a reader here and have nothing to do with it though.

From the link in the post, they support T5/T6.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have had Racechip (RC) in my car for almost one year. No issues, car passes emissions testing with the device activated, having fun with it!
The ONLY thing I've noticed is that the car no longer like ECO mode. I do get a check engine light with one code (P0106 or another I can't remember), related to pressures not matching the requested (real vs requested). My best guess is that RC makes the sensor send a reading different than what ECO mode expects, thus the ECU reports the error. Even with the check engine light the car runs fine. Solution: don't use ECO. If I want to use ECO I must remove the device entirely...turning it to map0 (technically eliminating it) doesn't do the trick.

Yes, a real tune would be better but more expensive and either (tune or RC) will have the same effect on your warranty (whatever that implies to you). BTW, I have NOT had any mechanical issues for the past 11 months, I normally have the device set to map5. Range is 0-7. Sometimes I do use 7, but not very often.

For $500 cost of RC, I'd say you should try it, easy to install and remove...you can control it with your phone too, the maps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2018 S90 T5 AWD Momentum that can't be P* tuned . I think thre was some issue with this specific model's chassis that made tuning a no-go. I put my VIN into the Polestar site and receive "No optimisation found! Please check your entry again or contact [email protected] for further assistance."

What are the non-P* options for me in the US? Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of any options? I think Heico is an option but not sure if I can get that in the US.

Thanks in advance!
HiltonTune is an option for all volvos. Very simple and they offer many options. About $400.00 USD

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
HiltonTune is an option for all volvos. Very simple and they offer many options. About $400.00 USD
Hilton is a terrible choice for SPA vehicles because the tune will be overwritten during system updates, requires mailing your ECU, and cost $1,200. It doesn't work on 2019+ vehicles either (changed ECU encryption).

·
2,520 Posts
I have a personal problem with P*, not that anyone else should agree but in my opinion it is an absolutely reality bendingly huge sum of money for an extremely marginal gain. I've talked with dozens on Facebook about P* and some are just excited to have it as an accessory but from a core standpoint of ROI, it's absolutely pointless and I believe it's a money grab by Volvo to take advantage of the wealthier market they captured with the SPA's. Again that's just my opinion.

I would definitely wait to modify the software in my opinion it makes much more sense to work on the hardware first. I would get an intake from D088 as well as an intercooler kit from them with accompanying piping. That will provide real world results that cost about the same. Our stock intercooler isn't bad but it gets terribly heat soaked, it takes about 20 mins of driving to cool it and even then the IAT is still above ambient, I don't even want to look at the gauge come summer.

For tunes, I'll just sit and wait for home tuners like Hilton to work on these cars, might be a few years but for me that's preferred and Ill ensure my car can handle a bump in timing and air by then as aftermarket companies begin to offer items for the SPA line

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a personal problem with P*, not that anyone else should agree but in my opinion it is an absolutely reality bendingly huge sum of money for an extremely marginal gain. I've talked with dozens on Facebook about P* and some are just excited to have it as an accessory but from a core standpoint of ROI, it's absolutely pointless and I believe it's a money grab by Volvo to take advantage of the wealthier market they captured with the SPA's. Again that's just my opinion.

I would definitely wait to modify the software in my opinion it makes much more sense to work on the hardware first. I would get an intake from D088 as well as an intercooler kit from them with accompanying piping. That will provide real world results that cost about the same. Our stock intercooler isn't bad but it gets terribly heat soaked, it takes about 20 mins of driving to cool it and even then the IAT is still above ambient, I don't even want to look at the gauge come summer.

For tunes, I'll just sit and wait for home tuners like Hilton to work on these cars, might be a few years but for me that's preferred and Ill ensure my car can handle a bump in timing and air by then as aftermarket companies begin to offer items for the SPA line
On paper, the gains may appear to be marginal - but when driving, it really does make a difference. Eg: Shift mapping is changed (sharper shifts and less hunting) and throttle response is faster. It might be marginal but seat of the pants feel is just better and more fun to drive, IMO. This is a daily driver for me - so I wasn't looking for max HP and torque gains - just something to add to driving enjoyment (when I select "Polestar").

The other issue is that because this is a Volvo installed option - there are absolutely no issues with warranty, etc. For me, the improved performance and drivability (even if it's marginal) combined with the 100% factory backing made the incremental cost (vs getting a third party solution) worth it. YMMV.

·
Registered
496 Posts
On paper, the gains may appear to be marginal - but when driving, it really does make a difference. Eg: Shift mapping is changed (sharper shifts and less hunting) and throttle response is faster. It might be marginal but seat of the pants feel is just better and more fun to drive, IMO. This is a daily driver for me - so I wasn't looking for max HP and torque gains - just something to add to driving enjoyment (when I select "Polestar").

The other issue is that because this is a Volvo installed option - there are absolutely no issues with warranty, etc. For me, the improved performance and drivability (even if it's marginal) combined with the 100% factory backing made the incremental cost (vs getting a third party solution) worth it. YMMV.
Add to this the fact that they give you 30 days to refund you the money...in case you don't like it or doesn't meet expectations. That is the part that convinced me to do it on top of the RC.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just posted this in a thread I started a couple hours ago but as a sidenote. I brought my car to the dealer under warranty for a separate issue and I mentioned the shift pattern was pretty bad. I got the car back not thinking they changed anything (only what i brought it in for, they fixed) and lo and behold.... They flashed it with polestar tuning, no charge. I don't know if this was just because it was under warranty or perhaps I have a very generous Volvo dealer near me. So anyone thinking about it and still under warranty, maybe go see what the dealer says. Did I just get lucky or is this standard practice now that Volvo acquired polestar?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I agree that Polestar tuning is a money grab. If it's so great and basically just some code, why isn't it standard? We do not have to pay extra for Eco, Dynamic or Off Road modes (at least not in North America), so why not include Polestar instead of Dynamic?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts