SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some one give me a brake down on what needs to be done on this engine/car for it if anything special.The car has 77,000 and it has been taken care of in the past the records came in the car but its time for a complete tune up.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: tune up on 2003 S60 AWD (N1ne)

How about did you change out your wheels yet?<br>(first)

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

The standard, oil, filters, plugs, brake fluid. Also, it does not hurt to drain-fill the tranny, and change all the AWD fluids. Pay attention to leaks, especially bevel gear and Haldex. Timing belt and tensioner within another twenty-k, and water pump at the same time.<p>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: tune up on 2003 S60 AWD (JRL)

Yes the wheel issue is fixxed not the exact wheels i wanted but they look ok and they fit the right with the right offset witch is the most important thing.The tuneup and breaks are next the booster issue witch one i have will be taken care of tomorrow I hope as i going to local Volvo dealer to look at physical booster. I also need to get the right size on front rotors as my car came with 305mm or 285mm i believe is the sizes and with the wheels on i can not get accurate measurement but they said when i have it there they will i hope be able to give me a list/print out of what my car came with New.Seems to be some things that were available in 2003 that were not the same as other years.Like rotors size for front tire it has the option of 2 different sizes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to do this tomorrow and my wife is telling me that the last time she had the oil changed and local place they said that the car needed a oil flush because the VOLVO engine is know to hold oil and after the change oil was still a little black.Is this right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Bender)

I am not sure about that i have had the car 1 year plus and the records that i got with the car did not have any thing about spark plugs.There were just mileage and dates for oil changes.Is there anything special that i need to know about changing them out?Also could you ar is there a place i can find where all the filter are located in the car.I am coming from my old Cadi Eldo with A North Star engine and this was a very simple car to do work on.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
air filter and oil filter are right where you expect them.<p>Fuel filter is IN LINE by the passenger side rear wheel.<p>Spark plugs should be changed every 30k or so - if its not in the service history - do it.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: (N1ne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>N1ne</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about cabin filter i believe it is called?</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Under the glovebox

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You might want to think about doing your timing/serpentine belts. Sure, it's a bit premature mileage wise, but rubber parts generally have a 6-year shelf-life (which can be dangerous/hazardous to overextend on important items such as tires and belts).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

i would think this is something i could do but is there any place i cant find on a how 2 on changing the timming belt or is this something that needs to be done by Volvo?I would like to do a full TUNE-UP on the car but like i said this car could not be more different then old car and some of the thing are a little tricky on where and how 2 change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do i use to get the oil FILTER Cover off?I have gotten threw most everything with what i hope to be no problems but the Oil filter case is giving me a problem.The sun was setting when i got to this and i am not sure if i am missing something as far as getting it off.But i have a adjustable oil filter cup and i cant get it off.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

1) Turn it counter-clockwise<br>2) Pray that whoever put it on last didn't <i>waaaay</i> over-tighten it (as seems to happen).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did try to buy the Cup type to remove it all 3 sizes that the local auto part store had did not fit to big and to small.The 1 i have now has 3 open arms and as u tighten it it closes up on filter till it grabs.I did try i remove it just was not sure if there was a different tool need as it seems to be VERY tight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All has gone well so far with the tune up i replaced the front brake rotors and pads while i was at it.Now the only things i have not done is change the "AWD" fluids and the transmission.Now these 2 things do concern me a little.The 1st thing is where or is there a place to check the levels of AWD fluid and can these be changed.The 2nd thing is i was always told the the transmission fluid was not to be touched unless there was a problem.If this is not the case is the a place that i could find on who to do this on this car and also changing the filter.My old car this ment dropping the pan.Thxs for all the help so far it has been a $ and time saver 4sure.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by N1ne at 9:44 PM 8-7-2009</i>

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Sounds like you have an auto? No?<p>Search around. There's lots of good info on how to do the auto tranny flush. Might I suggest starting here: <A HREF="http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php" TARGET="_blank">http://volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.php</A><p>Driver's side of engine bay: rear main seal, transmission, brake fluid master cylinder. Think everything else (power steering, coolant) is on the other side...

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Go to R Forum and to Quick launch thread at the top. Scroll down to Complete fluid change thread for Awd fluids: bevel gear, Haldex and rear diff. You'll need a pump, these can't be drained. The minimum you shoul do is check the levels and leaks. Our xc has a tiny leak in bevel gear but it had lost 1/2 the fluid by 60k. The fluid volumes are small.<p>For tranny, you can do a drain and fill, about 1/3rd of the fluid gets changed. There is a drain plug under the tranny, hard to miss.It's filled through dipstick that's very easy to miss. A very short stub hidden under the charge pipe and coolant hose. You need a long funnel to access. The fluid is Mobil 3309 or Toyota type IV. There's no filter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts