SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canadian-spec XC90 in Italy and am having several issues relating to rattles, and brake squeaking. Unfortunately, the dealership is having some issues with their determining which TSB/software updates apply to North American spec vehicles. Does anyone know of a place to find a list of TSBs / Recalls released to date?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have not seen such a list on SwedeSpeed. The following website has service bulletins, technical journals, et al for the US Volvo market: https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=info.subscriptions.main.

It is subscription-fee-based that dealers and indy's in US would subscribe. Owners, as consumers, can subscribe as well. (Not intended as an advertisement, just a point of information.)

Not sure about the Canadian market but you could jump over to VCNA (US) at http://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/recall-information to see the list of US recalls for a given VIN. I do not see a similar link on the Canadian website. You might be best served by contacting your dealer directly for help.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have not seen such a list on SwedeSpeed. The following website has service bulletins, technical journals, et al for the US Volvo market: https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=info.subscriptions.main.

It is subscription-fee-based that dealers and indy's in US would subscribe. Owners, as consumers, can subscribe as well. (Not intended as an advertisement, just a point of information.)

Not sure about the Canadian market but you could jump over to VCNA (US) at http://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/recall-information to see the list of US recalls for a given VIN. I do not see a similar link on the Canadian website. You might be best served by contacting your dealer directly for help.
I just signed up for a one year subscription for just Service and Parts Bulletins, Tech Journals and Attachments, and Quality Bulletins. Not inexpensive but I like knowing what is going on and the information here is pretty amazing. Many of the issues mentioned on this board during the last couple of months are specifically addressed in tech journal articles, including shifting quality, brake noise (front and rear), door rattle with the audio turned up, tailgate noise, B&W amp failure, some of the intermittent warnings etc. There is also a complete list of recalls (2), service actions (stuff that should be done during the next service visit) , and delivery actions (stuff that should be done before final delivery to the customer).

The interesting one is one of the apparent causes of the intermittent low-battery warnings. Obviously, the electronics in the car wake up and stay on for a specific time when the number of the SIM card for Sensus is called. The intent, of course, is for VOC to be the caller. But apparently robo-dialers are sometimes calling these numbers and this is turning the car on more frequently (in some cases) and perhaps for longer than originally anticipated (probably reused phone numbers that were already on someone's lists). They are working on a fix to basically block inbound calls to the system except VOC, but do not have one posted yet. There IS a fix in one of the SW updates where if you do NOT have VOC, then all inbound calls are disabled.

I hasten to point out also that the Tech Journals give no indication of frequency. It might be easy to presume that if it shows up in a TJ then it must be happening a lot. I see a pretty long list of TJs, and some are VERY obscure problems - so I think that this particular assumption is likely to be invalid. Instead, it looks more like most times when Volvo engineers get involved in a service call, you get a TJ out of it - yes - even if it has happened only once or twice. So oddly enough I consider a long list of TJs to be good news. It means that there is an active flow of information from Volvo engineering to the service departments at the dealerships.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The interesting one is one of the low-battery warnings. Obviously, the electronics in the car wake up and stay on for a specific time when the number of the SIM card for Sensus is called. The intent, of course, is for VOC to be the caller. But apparently robo-dialers are sometimes calling these numbers and this is turning the car on more frequently (in some cases) that originally anticipated (probably reused phone numbers that were already on someone's lists). They are working on a fix to basically block inbound calls to the system except VOC, but do not have one posted yet. There IS a fix in one of the SW update where if you do NOT have VOC, then all inbound calls are disabled.
That is very interesting and does make some sense as there have been people who have reported the low battery warning despite not having the air suspension. This is a good enough reason to consider yanking the sim card out of the modem until they fix it. I generally have my phone plugged into the USB port anyway, either for Carplay or just to charge. When that is the case the car just uses my LTE connection which is obviously much faster.

As an aside, the fact that the modem is 3G gnaws at an my sensibilities. Why did they put an inferior technology in a new car? It would be great if this could be upgraded in the future. Not a huge deal as I will always have my phone in the car, but my this is a loose end to my OCD nature.

Nothing about sunroof leakage on your Bulletin?

·
Registered
381 Posts
That is very interesting and does make some sense as there have been people who have reported the low battery warning despite not having the air suspension. This is a good enough reason to consider yanking the sim card out of the modem until they fix it. I generally have my phone plugged into the USB port anyway, either for Carplay or just to charge. When that is the case the car just uses my LTE connection which is obviously much faster.

As an aside, the fact that the modem is 3G gnaws at an my sensibilities. Why did they put an inferior technology in a new car? It would be great if this could be upgraded in the future. Not a huge deal as I will always have my phone in the car, but my this is a loose end to my OCD nature.

My Low Battery message did not come on until over a week after I picked it up from the dealership and was driving it.

Before picking it up, it had sat at the dealership for a month and to my knowledge they did not have any reason to drive it around.

So... to me this indicates that the battery in my car could have been systematically used over and over while the car was sitting at the dealership, and even though I had driven the car for over a week with no message, the message popped up later..... Which to me says that the battery has permanent issues caused by it being used over and over again while it was sitting idle at the dealership for a month.

Does that make sense based on the TSB?

·
Registered
215 Posts
My Low Battery message did not come on until over a week after I picked it up from the dealership and was driving it.

Before picking it up, it had sat at the dealership for a month and to my knowledge they did not have any reason to drive it around.
Shelf-life of a battery charge on a rechargeable battery is finite and dependent on the battery technology in question. All batteries lose charge at varying rates even when there is no external current draw, and most cars DO have some current draw, even when turned off. For a lead-acid battery, which is typically what goes in a car, a month is a very long time for ANY car.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I just signed up for a one year subscription for just Service and Parts Bulletins, Tech Journals and Attachments, and Quality Bulletins. Not inexpensive but I like knowing what is going on and the information here is pretty amazing. Many of the issues mentioned on this board during the last couple of months are specifically addressed in tech journal articles, including shifting quality, brake noise (front and rear), door rattle with the audio turned up, tailgate noise, B&W amp failure, some of the intermittent warnings etc. There is also a complete list of recalls (2), service actions (stuff that should be done during the next service visit) , and delivery actions (stuff that should be done before final delivery to the customer).
Interesting........I have never heard that someone can just sign up for such subscriptions!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Interesting........I have never heard that someone can just sign up for such subscriptions!
I have been a subscriber for about six months on the service bulletins. I think the technical journals will be more useful to owners. You will need to identify yourself as a consumer (unless you are an Indy).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have been a subscriber for about six months on the service bulletins. I think the technical journals will be more useful to owners. You will need to identify yourself as a consumer (unless you are an Indy).
Agreed - the TJs are the most informative part from a consumer POV. I purchased a month of Quality Bulletins and Service Bulletins and will drop those after the month is up. They are useful initially (that 3-day "subscription" might be ideal). I will renew the Tech Journals for a while, however. Beyond their obvious utility, I find them rather interesting. Egads, I am such a geek.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi laird, anything you saw on the noise from the front suspension at very low speeds? Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts

I agree. This is very interesting; thank you Laird_Williams
As far as I know, VOC can work without the SIM card. On the day I received the car, the dealer called the VOC and the SIM card was not activated. Is there way to find out the number of the SIM card in the car? We can try to call the number and see what will happen.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I agree. This is very interesting; thank you Laird_Williams
As far as I know, VOC can work without the SIM card. On the day I received the car, the dealer called the VOC and the SIM card was not activated. Is there way to find out the number of the SIM card in the car? We can try to call the number and see what will happen.
The SIM for Sensus data service is not related to the SIM that VOC is using - VOC is a separate system (seen it reported here many times). Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts