SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I should check vida for this but the dice unit i got was defective and darius is sending me a new one, so I can't do that at the moment. But anyway...

My boost has been holding steady at 10 and spiking to like 11-12 ever since I put the car on its stock tune instead of the autotech tune. The other day I replaced my 2 bulbs and I had to take the airbox out, etc. (I have the elevate one in case that's relevant). Yesterday I got a CEL and it won't boost past 8 psi. I took out the airbox, made sure everything was tight. Put it back in, cleared codes, did the fuse 6 and 23 reset and it was back to normal, if 10 is normal. I drove like 40-ish miles and I got the CEL again and the boost won't go past 7-8.

From my OBD2 scanner I got long term fuel trim lean on bank 1, and from the autotech scanner i got ECM 212c and 21ec which are fuel related i believe. The generic one, i'm lead to believe, is related to a vacuum leak based on other threads i've seen.

Since it seemed to be solved by resetting the ecu, i'm wondering if my problem is from my TCV? It's the original one i believe with the original vac lines at 152k miles. When i first got the car and took the airbox out, it was sort of sitting on top of the transmission, like around that area, and not clipped onto anything. Could heat or something have caused it to wear out? I'm going to replace the TCV with an OEM one and use IPD's vac line kit regardless, I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Try to make sure the TCV and lines are good. Chances are its not that since control system leakage should cause overboost, not low boost. Low boost is more likely to be the control solenoid going bad. Hopefully its the TCV though, it was around your mileage when my turbo began biting the dust and underboosting.

As far as the fuel codes, I will leave it to someone who is familiar with those to chime in on what may be causing that issue. It may even be related to the boost issues if the fuel issues are causing the stock tune to pull back the boost.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm pretty sure its not the turbo because when the CEL isnt there it boosts perfectly and smoothly to 10/12 and the only way to get it back there is an ecu reset and removing/replacing my airbox. even when it isnt boosting right im still at -20 psi vacuum in idle. 3 weeks ago i was running the tune and it went to 20 with no problem. i've only ever seen 10-13 max on stock tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,062 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you think it is then? i havent tested the tune since this started so ill do it tommorow. if my boost is still low, would that be the solenoid? and i take its a good idea to replace the tcv and vac lines regardless

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Clean the MAF... fuel trim is computed with maf values... The chart translates ECM 212C to "Adaptive heated oxygen sensor control, bank 1 -- Signal too high"

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah thats what i have. will that cause boost problems?

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Well if the MAP, MAF, and o2 sensor don't match the car is going to pull boost because it can't accurately determine AFR and a bad AFR will nuke the engine if it goes unchecked.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hm. yeah that makes sense. i have some maf cleaner laying around i believe so first thing i do after class tommorow is clean it. i just spray it on the screen right?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
There is probably nothing wrong with your car, other than the fact that it is an 04-05 R with an automatic transmission.

If you do a Google search on swedespeed for 10 psi boost on 04-05 automatic transmission Rs, you should find some threads where it was discovered that most, if not all, 04-05 automatic transmission Rs came with stock software from the factory that was detuned relative to the manual Rs in all gears not just first and second, which causes the lower 10 psi boost limit (actually it is a torque limit) relative to the stock 15 psi boost limit on the manual Rs. Many 04-05 automatic transmission R owners end up eventually getting tunes to fix this issue, which is probably what happened with the previous owner of your R (I am assuming that you bought the R with the autotech tune already installed).

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
There is probably nothing wrong with your car, other than the fact that it is an 04-05 R with an automatic transmission.

If you do a Google search on swedespeed for 10 psi boost on 04-05 automatic transmission Rs, you should find some threads where it was discovered that most, if not all, 04-05 automatic transmission Rs came with stock software from the factory that was detuned relative to the manual Rs in all gears not just first and second, which causes the lower 10 psi boost limit (actually it is a torque limit) relative to the stock 15 psi boost limit on the manual Rs. Many 04-05 automatic transmission R owners end up eventually getting tunes to fix this issue, which is probably what happened with the previous owner of your R (I am assuming that you bought the R with the autotech tune already installed).

Cheers,

Jeff
That wouldn't cause a CEL and 8psi. He says he knows about stock boost limiting.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You can check if it is MAF related. Let car warm up. Log long term fuel trim and maf. If you increase engine speed and fuel trim goes higher with that, then its a MAF problem. If it doesnt change, you got a intake leak

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i cant check the fuel trim because i dont have my dice at the moment. unless my obd2 would read that. but i just drove ~8 miles to school with the MAF unplugged and the throttle felt a little more responsive and instead of capping off at 8 psi, it would sometimes go and stay at 10 and other times go to 10 but then slide down to 9. i was only on the full boost for 1-2 seconds at a time. is that what i should be seeing?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and yeah jeff i know about the ecu limiting at 10 psi. its always been like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so driving home i put the tune on and the MAF plug back in. i was able to get to like 18 psi on my boost gauge, although it was very shaky at 18 and i only let it there for a second or two. sometimes it went straight there or it went to 18 then right down to 15 then back to 18 shakily. so this is looking like either the tcv or solenoid or a very annoying boost leak.

stealthy, does me being able to get to 18-19 psi mean my turbo is okay? i have no reason to believe otherwise... it boosts perfectly and idles/vacuums perfectly until i reach that limit. and being able to hold a perfectly smooth 15 psi looks good too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also was looking through all my car cleaner crap and found this... i don't think it's MAF cleaner but it says air intake?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Could be the same stuff, but I wouldn't take my chance on it eating up something inside the MAF.

Shaky boost could be a sign the TCV is going out. Tune should be able to maintain a minimum of 18 PSI in this cool weather, so something must certainly be up if its wavering under that. If it was a leak I wouldn't expect it to fluctuate like that unless its really over stressing the turbo.

As I might have stated before, that's also what my turbo ended up doing once the thrust bearing died (strangely fluctuating boost under the limit). If you put a new TCV in there and rule out a plumbing leak I'd start suspecting the turbo is on its way out if I were you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its not like wavering, its more of the needle vibrating... exact same thing it does at 8 psi on stock tune. it could hold 18 and even got to 20ish for a second before going back down. so i have a loss of 2 psi with and without tune. tcv seems like a probable culprit. new vac lines and tcv it is!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
but yeah if that doesn't fix it i think a turbo rebuild is in my future.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts