SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 s60 2.5t rather stock, and I was trying to do a turbo swap. I understand the common swap is a 16t, but they can be pricey. I do know that 850s use the 16t as a upgrade, and use a 15g as the stock turbo. My question is would a 15g fit on a s60 with no modification? The main thing I am worried about is the coolant and oil line routing.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
It depends of your goal, 16T or K24 are your best options

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A simple power band gain is all I am looking for. Plus what I have seen, a 15g and 16t flow about the same

·
Registered
556 Posts
What is your price range? I bought a 16T shipped for $330.00 with a new rebuild on it from a member on here. Ask around here and someone might have one for you for a good price.

I would do the 16T. A bunch of us have it and are real happy with it.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
buy a 16t from a 01-04 t5 if you want to make things easy on yourself. you DON'T want a 16t from an older s70 or c70

·
Registered
808 Posts
Have you thought about just getting a tune? A good tune may suit your needs and would be alot easier than swapping turbos, which would require a new tune anyway for maximum benefit.

http://www.ardtuning.com/1999-2009_c_33.html

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a 2004 s60 2.5t rather stock, and I was trying to do a turbo swap. I understand the common swap is a 16t, but they can be pricey. I do know that 850s use the 16t as a upgrade, and use a 15g as the stock turbo. My question is would a 15g fit on a s60 with no modification? The main thing I am worried about is the coolant and oil line routing.
I went to my local junkyard and pulled a 16T off of a 2002 S60 T5 for about $200, rebuilt it for about $80, bought new gaskets (for the oil return line, exhaust manifold, and downpipe), studs (4 for the manifold, 3 for the downpipe), nuts (7 total), copper crush rings (the smaller ones from IPD, I bought 10, had 4 left over), and one 3 inch long 2.25" diameter steel coupler and one 3" long 2.25" inner diameter silicone coupler. Also factor in replacement coolant for when you have to drain your system and that should be everything.

Total cost me around $350, used it for a month then sold it to Grkmafiosos, loved every second that I had it on the car.

You'd be better off just getting the 16T, the coolant lines on the 15G are in different positions than the 16T's on 2001+ volvos. As long as your 16T comes from a 2001+ volvo it should be a direct bolt on as far as the oil/coolant lines are concerned.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I went to my local junkyard and pulled a 16T off of a 2002 S60 T5 for about $200, rebuilt it for about $80, bought new gaskets (for the oil return line, exhaust manifold, and downpipe), studs (4 for the manifold, 3 for the downpipe), nuts (7 total), copper crush rings (the smaller ones from IPD, I bought 10, had 4 left over), and one 3 inch long 2.25" diameter steel coupler and one 3" long 2.25" inner diameter silicone coupler. Also factor in replacement coolant for when you have to drain your system and that should be everything.

Total cost me around $350, used it for a month then sold it to Grkmafiosos, loved every second that I had it on the car.

You'd be better off just getting the 16T, the coolant lines on the 15G are in different positions than the 16T's on 2001+ volvos. As long as your 16T comes from a 2001+ volvo it should be a direct bolt on as far as the oil/coolant lines are concerned.
See what I mean. There are guys on here that can really help you out and hook you up. Ask around and you will find out.

Whats up Stefan? Thanks again for the turbo. The car always brings a smile to my face now.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
See what I mean. There are guys on here that can really help you out and hook you up. Ask around and you will find out.

Whats up Stefan? Thanks again for the turbo. The car always brings a smile to my face now.
Hey!

I really loved that turbo when I put it on, it had to be the best bang for the buck mod I ever did to my old S60...I sure miss that thing a lot at times.

Hope it continues to serve you well, and if you ever have problems with it let me know and I'll lend a hand.

To the OP:

look online for turbochargers off of a 2002 2.3L volvo, online they should have a part number listed as well next to each available used turbo, you can then copy and paste that part number into google and it should come up with whether it's a 16T or different turbo. When looking for a 16T you need to realize that volvo changed the coolant ports around on the S60's, both coolant lines run to the back of the CHRA, whereas on the 850's one goes to the front and another goes to the rear, here's a picture:

In this picture the turbocharger is upside down, but you get the idea. The two ports in the middle are the coolant lines, the port pictured up top is the oil return line, and directly across from the oil return line is the other oil line. Remember that this picture is of the turbocharger upside down though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts