SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago, I reduced the tire pressure in the XC60 from 44 to 38 psi. After driving 200+ miles, the TPS warning comes on today. When I got home I checked all four tires (hot) and they were all @ 40 psi. So what gives? Why am I getting a warning when the pressure shows to be @ 40 psi? Should I trust the sensors???

·
Registered
114 Posts
A week ago, I reduced the tire pressure in the XC60 from 44 to 38 psi. After driving 200+ miles, the TPS warning comes on today. When I got home I checked all four tires (hot) and they were all @ 40 psi. So what gives? Why am I getting a warning when the pressure shows to be @ 40 psi? Should I trust the sensors???
Why were your tires at 44psi to begin with?!?!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Why were your tires at 44psi to begin with?!?!
Because it is not unusual for dealers to leave them overinflated after delivery. Both of ours were over 40psi on delivery, and required being deflated.
To OP - it is very strange that you are getting an alert at 40psi, something is not right. I have had a warning couple of times in the past, but only when my tires drop to ~30psi. My usual suggestion is to inflate to 40psi, which should reset the sensors, then deflate down again to 36-37psi - not sure it will work in your case.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Has the temperature outside fluctuated?

I know in Canada they stopped equipping the TPS sensors because they would go insane with temperature fluctuations

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:

I checked the tires again this morning (cold) and they are low! All show @ 34 psi...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Has the temperature outside fluctuated?

I know in Canada they stopped equipping the TPS sensors because they would go insane with temperature fluctuations
hmm, something was working as designed, so they take it away in favor of a different system... thanks Volvo!

right, volvo changed all xc60s (others too? forget) to tire monitor in december 2014, a few months before my car was made. Wish I had tps instead.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hmm, something was working as designed, so they take it away in favor of a different system... thanks Volvo!

right, volvo changed all xc60s (others too? forget) to tire monitor in december 2014, a few months before my car was made. Wish I had tps instead.
For our climate TPMS's aren't that helpful. As a general rule if you want to keep your tire between 35-38 psi anywhere below 10*C you have to inflate the tire to about 45 PSI to compensate for the drop in pressure associated with temperatures.

This causes TPMS's to go crazy.

In the winter with my winter tires on I check my tires every Saturday morning, unless there has been a large temperature change. We can see temps go from +3 to -25 over 1-2 days.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
On our last 2 trips, we've been getting TPMS Service required warnings and at both times they disappeared. After a trip to the dealer during a routine maintenance they indicated there was nothing wrong. For me, I don't trust it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Forgot to mention today is a good day for a TPMS to go haywire. This morning areas were around -1 to +1*C. It will warm up to almost 20*C this afternoon. So if your vehicle sat outside overnight the tire pressure would have dropped. If you filled it up this morning drove to work and your vehicle sat outside by the afternoon your tires could be over-inflated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke too soon because, after filling the tires this morning, the TPS warning light is still on. I just rechecked the pressure, now that is has warmed up (81 degrees) and all 4 are right @ 40 psi... I'm starting a 1500 mile trip tomorrow or else I would be visiting the dealer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Might as the dealer at what psi the idiot light is supposed to go off. For those of you affected by weather.. Might try nitrogen to air tires vs. Dry air. N2 is not affected by temp... Thats what aircraft use.. I never thought you would need it for a car.. But apparently some of you in the cold are indeed being affected.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In this case tire monitor is actual preferable since with temperature fluctuations they all change at the same time and won't trigger a warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umm, boy do I look stupid...

I took the car in to the dealer to have the tpms checked and all is fine. They just re calibrated the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts