SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Its really easy to pull back the carpet and see if there are any holes to bolt it to.

·
Registered
837 Posts
even if there isn't any bolt holes it wouldn't be hard to drill and tap some or just weld a nut on the other side. I think Ill do this next weekend, if I can get some 1.5in DOM tubing in by then. Ill let you know what happens

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
That would be awesome. The brace I had in my last car made a great difference.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i belive we can, and i was going to look into this because i found a rear strut tower brace for the focus RS and i was gonna pull back the carpet and check to see if the bolts show through, reason i think so is because upon looking at the mount on the brace and the way out rear shocks mount, looks to be and exact mate. heres a link to the bar.

http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/7898/2945/jwr_rear_strut_tower_bar_focus_rs_mk2_

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I think the one issue is that people may not like how it hinders use of storage space when the seats are down. I know in the S40 we could maybe triangulate it to the top cross member. I would like to look into this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing that I wonder about is that no one (that I have seen) makes a trunk brace bar for our cars.. Why is this?

And whoever is looking into it, or doing it themselves, keep us posted.

If I find a spare minute this weekend I will pull back the carpet and see what were working with. I do have a mig so I could make it work if I found the tubing and 3"x3" sqaures.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
The thing that I wonder about is that no one (that I have seen) makes a trunk brace bar for our cars.. Why is this?
Because the people who take cars that seriously wouldn't have purchased an S40. Volvo owners would rather buff up the sway bars and keep their trunk space. :p

I've seen it done before. I just can't find a picture of where!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because the people who take cars that seriously wouldn't have purchased an S40. Volvo owners would rather buff up the sway bars and keep their trunk space. :p

I've seen it done before. I just can't find a picture of where!
Let me know if you find it!

And whats wrong with s40s?? :p

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
And whats wrong with s40s?? :p
Nothing for me! It's got the space, power, looks, and now handling that I want/need. But if you want real performance, Volvos have never been the cars to go after.

The S40 can achieve "pretty good." But starting with a pretty good car means you can eventually achieve "great." Personally though, I wouldn't trade my S40 for any other sedan from that model year. I love it! :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
But if you want real performance, Volvos have never been the cars to go after.
That was the sentiment on the Saab boards. People would come around asking what to do to make their Saab into a track day car. Solution: sell Saab, purchase different car.

My feeling is that I want to keep the stock ride but increase handling as much as possible, so I am aiming to brace the living hell out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
My feeling is that I want to keep the stock ride but increase handling as much as possible, so I am aiming to brace the living hell out of the car.
2 seconds behind on the straights, but we'll catch them in the turns! And then we can drive home in luxury :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was planning on doing it this weekend, even found some DOM in my warehouse, but my MAF went bad and Tasca says its over a week out. so im DITW

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So there is holes in the trunk or will we have to drill them? Anyone have measurement specs? Mainly how wide the bar needs to be.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You're going to need to measure that out all yourself, I don't know of anyone who has done this.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Pretty straightforward as I recall. Actually faster if you don't cut corners. Fold down the rear seats as the carpet wraps around the opening. Pull the floor carpet. Pull the floor "foam" pieces. Pull the sill trim (hardest part), it comes up like the door sills after you get the fasteners under the "foam". Pull all the rectangle carpet fasteners by squeezing the clips together. Wrangle the carpet out noting how it fits in the seat opening & a couple metal tabs that are part of the body. It's a lot easier to install with two people just so you can guide the carpet into the rear seat opening properly. I may have missed something, it's been awhile....

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Let me know if you find it!
That only took a year to find :p Not a trunk brace / rear strut brace, I was mistaken. I'm not exactly sure how you would describe this...

·
Registered
837 Posts
There are mounting holes in my car near the top back of the seat. two heims in a threaded rod would cost 50 bucks tops and your good to good. that would allow you to "pre-load" it and have it nice and tight.

Im not sure of any benefit of actually mounting it from shock to shock. IMO your looking to cut down on body flex which that mounting hole would do.

·
Registered
989 Posts
That only took a year to find :p Not a trunk brace / rear strut brace, I was mistaken. I'm not exactly sure how you would describe this...

I believe it's called a cantilever coil over set up. It makes way more room to put some monster rubber back there without rubbing against the rear shocks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts