SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ge the true mileage from my 97 850R or is this something the dealer must do? I may finally replace the broken odometer gear if its possible, If not I will just keep on driving it broken since I don't plan on seeling it or anything. Its probably 50k behind, it broke at 176k.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
i think dealer only , unless you move your speedo cluster to a 95 850 and get it from the code box and then put it back....the chip for mileage is in the cluster.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
dougy:

just for the fun of it, would it be technically possible to remove one's chip, and replace it with a another one, so that the readout from the code box matches the new chip?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
dougy:

just for the fun of it, would it be technically possible to remove one's chip, and replace it with a another one, so that the readout from the code box matches the new chip?
no, the mileage is stored only in one place and that is the speedometer cluster chip...94 and 95 you can check from the code box under the hood...96+ had full OBD2 and I think you can get it done at dealer only ... not 100% sure though.

as far as the chip I would not but you could take apart the cluster and swap the entire cluster board with lower mileage to your high mileage one...but that's just fraudulent. :D

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My local independent says they have the equipment to read mileage for 850s, too.
I think they do that for all 850s as part of the pre-purchase inspection service they offer
since so many have had the odometer gear problem.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
My local independent says they have the equipment to read mileage for 850s, too.
I think they do that for all 850s as part of the pre-purchase inspection service they offer
since so many have had the odometer gear problem.
free is nice...94 and 95 you can check it your self and 96+ dealer unless you have software + OBD reader to retrieve it .

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha, thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
free is nice...94 and 95 you can check it your self and 96+ dealer unless you have software + OBD reader to retrieve it .
How do you check it on 95? Mine stoped at 148, about 2-3 years ago, wonder wats the number now... Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Believe me, it aint worth trying to correct the mileage. It's a slow gruling process, not short cut, you have to crank the 1/10th miles up to get each mile added. It took me about 30 minutes to add 2,200 miles. You'd have to leave it hooked up to some drill contraption to add 50k. Then the darn gears would have 50k of wear on them, 1/2 their life. SMH.

I recently got a replacement cluster for my '95. The cluster had 115,000 on it. When I hooked it up and checked it, there was 205,000 stored in the cluster, LOL. If I wanted to sell the car, any buyer that would pay my price would be crazy not to check it since it's so easy.

Another thing, I don't believe any dealer or inspector is going through the hassle of checking the mileage in the post '95 cars.

Last but not least, when I check mileage in '94 and '95 cars, I do the 1-1-2 first to get the front mileage then the 1-1-1 to get the last 3 numbers.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Believe me, it aint worth trying to correct the mileage. It's a slow gruling process, not short cut, you have to crank the 1/10th miles up to get each mile added. It took me about 30 minutes to add 2,200 miles. You'd have to leave it hooked up to some drill contraption to add 50k. Then the darn gears would have 50k of wear on them, 1/2 their life. SMH.

I recently got a replacement cluster for my '95. The cluster had 115,000 on it. When I hooked it up and checked it, there was 205,000 stored in the cluster, LOL. If I wanted to sell the car, any buyer that would pay my price would be crazy not to check it since it's so easy.

Another thing, I don't believe any dealer or inspector is going through the hassle of checking the mileage in the post '95 cars.

Last but not least, when I check mileage in '94 and '95 cars, I do the 1-1-2 first to get the front mileage then the 1-1-1 to get the last 3 numbers.
really, i took it all apart completely, replaced both gears as well corrected the mileage and that was 7 years and 50K miles ago...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I thought you said that you corrected the mileage. It might be worth it if you're only like 5,000 or less off. Other than that, it's to much work/time.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I thought you said that you corrected the mileage. It might be worth it if you're only like 5,000 or less off. Other than that, it's to much work/time.
i did...when I bought it in 2005 it showed 65K and it did not work so I found out the correct mileage was 83K and I took it all apart and replaced both old waxed gears and put the odometer to exact mile...and yes it is quite alot of work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts