SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am new to the world of volvo but am excited to join your ranks. I'm having a really difficult time figuring out which route to go. I am torn between three cars. Here's what I like and don't about them:

Volvo S60 T6: 300 ponies in less expensive package. Biggest "bang for buck," I think. There are a good many of them around so I can get a good deal. I am not in love with the sedan style (a little to "buzz cut" proper for my taste, though I really do like the looks). Really fast, and I could put on winter tires for the white stuff. Great mileage for the power at 35 highway.

Volvo V60 T5: Only comes in 240 HP (no T6) and much less fun to drive, but I think the V wagons in black with nice wheels look downright sexy. I don't have a specific need for the space, but I like the practicality and the looks. Great highway mileage at 37mpg.

V60 R-Design. The fun car, with 325HP and 350lb+ torque. AWD which would be great a few times a year (I live in Chicago and drive into cold weather climiates), though the mileage is SIGNIFICANTLY worse at 28mpg. Not sure how much that matters given the lower gas cost over the next few years. The car is an absolute hoot to drive and has the good looks of the wagon plus what I believe to be the best seats in the industry. This comes at a +4k premium on whats already a pricey car though, and a deal will be much harder to come by.

Now, I know this is Sweed SPEED and the RD is going to get the nod, but I am really open to other considerations outside of just fun factor!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think you should go with what your heart and mind tells you.... If you can swing the AWD V60R, I would go with that. I'm sure you'll appreciate the AWD living in Chicago. Put a good set of snow tires and have fun.... You do only live once...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Vote R-Design. The average fuel mileage is not as far off from the T6 Drive-e as you would think, well unless you cruise along on flat highways at 55 MPH during most of your travels. Even at a 5-7 MPG difference, do the math; we're talking a cost of only a few hundred bucks extra per year. I think having the refined power and worry free AWD traction to harness that power is worth it. Btw, I have achieved 32 MPG in my 325 HP T6 I6 V60 RD while cruising 65 MPH on a long stretch of relatively flat highway in Delaware.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Find a nice V60 T5 w/ the Sport package...same suspension set up as the R-design. You will love it. The T5 engine on that car is very good and you will have fun w/ it.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Find a nice V60 T5 w/ the Sport package...same suspension set up as the R-design. You will love it. The T5 engine on that car is very good and you will have fun w/ it.
T5 drive-e fwd?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I've been contemplating the same question for several months with a keen eye on the CPO market for all these vehicles. I quickly discarded the sedan because as much as I try, I agree that it's a bit too "buzz cut" for me as well hahaha.

I ultimately settled on waiting for a V60 T5 AWD with 18" sport package to emerge. The Drive-e platform is intriguing, but I'll have the rest of my volvo-buying life to give those a spin once the bugs have been worked out and they've added an AWD drivetrain.

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 rdesign - ultimately you can test drive them and pick what you like. There are trade offs in each model variant - speed, torque, ride comfort, handling and price. You have to pick what you will enjoy. The interiors are pretty similar with variations on color - rdesign is only in black - and seat shape. My wife drives an xc60 rdesign - but I always smile when I get to drive it! If you enjoy spirited driving the rdesign will put a smile on your face each time you step on the accelerator!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd vote V60RD, but that's what I bought several months ago. RD is way more rare and is pretty fast. As others have said, gas mileage isn't bad. I'm in the Chicago area as well and have no regrets with my purchase. But I was also looking for a performance wagon.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I have driven each of Volvo's engines available in the modern S/V60 and with my driving style, usually Sport mode all the time, I get mid-20s with mixed city/highway - yes, even with the new Drive-E. If you drive highway a lot, you can get 34mpg with the old 5cyl AWD S60 and 37mpg with the 4cyl FWD. The R-Design can get 30mpg.

For MPG, it really comes down to your driving style and conditions, find the vehicle that fits your lifestyle best and enjoy.

Its too bad Volvo did not offer the T6 Drive-E in the V60 for the U.S. It offers plenty of power, extra space and the best chance for the 37 mpg EPA rating.

A S60CC or V60CC would be a good and unique option with the 5cyl T5 and AWD. I am bias to the R-Design and Polestar models with the 3.0 6cyl T6 :)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The current S60 incentives are very tempting, but then again so are the ridiculous incentives on the S80 if that's the kind of car you want.

The R-Design is a wonderful car. I am seriously considering keeping it at the end of my lease because I honestly love the car. The real temptation is getting out of a car that seems to have a soul and actually makes me want to drive faster and take advantage of its performance. Some grandpa car that I can put put around in comfortably and won't mind being stuck behind a slow driver in. A car that doesn't have addictive aural ear cocaine that just makes me want more every time I pass someone.

So yeah, definitely don't go with the R-Design. It might be stressful to drive when you start going through withdrawal when some snoot in an ML class decides their Mercedes belongs in the fast lane going 45 mph. The 4-cylinder may provide adequate performance without having to cope with the inability to hear the turbo straight six while you're cruising calmly. Or maybe you'd just cope better than I.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts