SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What started with months of planning, booking, cancelling, rebooking, saving, reserving, spending, confirming reservations, & more spending is all just a memory now of what will probably be referred to for many years as "that time we went to Sweden." So many people have asked "How was your trip?" in the last week that each time I've found it more difficult to answer.. "good" or "great" doesn't do it justice. I've loved telling people of the overseas delivery program..They're like, how'd you get that? Do you work for Volvo? I feel that sometimes my response is more lengthy than what they are interested in. How much time do you have? We've got hundreds of pictures... However, I think I'm most glad that I can say it was a successful one. No matter how much you plan you can never account for certain unknowns. Case in point - the memory that my 9 year old daughter has of last year's Disney cruise vacation was of her getting sick. Nothing we can do to change that.. However this trip wasn't marred by sickness, or missed flights, or bad weather.. On to the trip. I'll try to be brief and then upload pics from Tap-a-talk.

Sunday March 24th

We flew from Chicago to Stockholm on March 23. Arriving at Arlanda airport on the 24th. We stayed two nights at the Scandic Downtown Camper. Loved this hotel it was a pretty big place yet felt more like a boutique-type of hotel to me. Loved the style & colors that this place was decorated in. The place seemed hip but not hipster.. They had a huge breakfast buffet that was included for our 2 nights. However, we paid for the breakfast when we came to drop our bags. The did not charge for the kids but it still was not cheap. ~$50. I chose this place due to the location and the ability to buy the Stockholm CityPass in the lobby of the hotel. . It was about a 10 minute walk from Central Station and 5 minute walk to Gamla Stan. After breakfast we walked to the Opera House and boarded the hop-on hop-off bus to the Vasa Museum. (both included in the city pass) Vasa Museum was definitely a must-see in Stockholm. We also visited the Nordic Museum next door to the Vasa. It was pretty interesting too but at this point my kids were hungry and exhausted from the flight, lack of sleep, time difference, & walking the streets. We hit McDonalds and a local grocery store for some Swedish candy and an uber back to the hotel.

Monday

We walked to Gamla Stan, saw the crown jewels, toured the palace, walked the streets of old town, and hit Kaffekoppen for a fika. Later, caught the train to another part of town for lunch at Meatballs For the People. Typical tourist stuff. One thing we missed out on was the Nobel Prize Museum. I had intended to do it Sunday but couldn't put the kids through that. It is closed on Mondays..

Tuesday

After breakfast we caught the SJ train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. This was a nice ride and surprisingly cheap for the 4 of us. I enjoyed the trip. My wife enjoyed her nap. The kids had their faces in ipods.. We got off the train and immediately checked into the Clarion Post - 9th floor corner family room, courtesy of Volvo. We walked the shopping mall next door to find a quick lunch and let the kids play in the nearby park. Dinner at Norda, compliments of Volvo. The menu was reindeer (which was on my bucketlist for this trip), some type of fish, and dessert. I enjoyed trying new things but was just not really impressed with my experience at "a michelin starred restaurant". It was nice that they did offer things more suitable for the kids (burgers and pasta) and comped it because, Volvo. But the whole meal seemed to be a lesson in patience and we were really struggling..

Wednesday

The breakfast buffet at the Clarion was similar to what we experienced in Stockholm just a bit smaller. We had breakfast and was promptly met by our driver at 9:30. The car delivery was prompt and smooth. To my knowledge, I never saw Camilla.. but Hans was great and great with our kids too. We went over the car, had fika, shopped the store a bit, then lunch. I opted for the fish which was good but crusted with a LOT of seasoning.. and I wasn't a bit hungry as this was our third time eating between 9-12. My wife thought the meatballs were the best we had on the trip. We didn't get the shrimp sandwich but it looked HUGE. We did the factory tour which was good. Our guide was very excited to be working for Volvo & it showed. We opted to hit the Volvo museum on our return to Gothenburg as we needed to get to Copenhagen to check into Airbnb. Made a quick stop at the Koenigsegg factory on the way south. Crossed the Oresund bridge which was fun. Checked into Airbnb in Copenhagen.

Thursday

We stayed in an apartment a few blocks from the Little Mermaid statue. The Airbnb wasn't much to speak of but did provide us with a locked garage to keep our new baby for a couple nights as well as a washer and dryer to get us through the rest of our trip with clean undies. Apart from that, location was really all this place had to speak of. It was just around the corner from a Lagkaghuset Bakery which was awesome. We used this place for breakfast the next two days. We walked the city all day, 9+ miles taking in more touristy spots - Rosenborg Castle, changing of the guards at Amelienborg Palace, Nyhavn, canal boat tour & other shopping streets. We hit Gasoline Grill for lunch which was a great place to refuel (pun intended - dad jokes, right?). One of the best burgers I've had anywhere. We ventured pretty far from the apartment & when ready to head back to our digs I soon started missing uber. Pro tip- no uber in Copenhagen. We ate dinner at a little place near the apartment Tio Marios that felt a little more American. Kids had pizza and I had a pretty decent "steak on a plank". Returned to the apartment with a cake from the bakery to end my birthday in celebration.

Friday

We loaded the car and made a quick stop at the little mermaid statue for a few pics then north to Fredriksborg Castle. Apart from Volvo, this place was the highlight for me. We got there before they opened and toured the grounds (and snapped the proof picture). Including lunch at the restaurant on the grounds, we spent a little over 4 hours there I think. It's a beautiful place with lots of history that's now used as the national museum. Then we headed to our next stop in Gudme, Denmark, making a quick detour to the viking ship museum in Roskilde. We stayed at the Broholm Castle in the family suite & chose to eat dinner there as well. Very nice stop out in the country that was just a stopping point on our way to Billund. Again, another long dinner ~3 hours but enjoyed speaking with the waitress who was planning a trip to the states soon.

Saturday

Opening day at Legoland in Billund and all of a sudden our kids have full energy levels again. Checked into Legoland Hotel - very impressed with the level of theming here. Decent buffets for dinner & breakfast in the resort.

Sunday

Lego House. I've compared this to The World of Coca Cola museum in Atlanta. It seems to be an alternative to letting people tour the factory. Lego House offered exhibits of lego builders works, history of the company, personal collections, lots of opportunities for kids (and adults), a small-scale production line, and unique dining options. Kids loved Mini Chef, very interactive and offered a wide enough range of food options for everyone to find something they could eat. From there, we drove to Fredrickshavn to catch the ferry back to Gothenburg. Given more time, this would have been an interesting stop as the waitress at Broholm told me of a WWII museum there with some interactive exhibits. (she did mention that it would be too intense for little kids) We noticed the cannons on the hillside as we came into town. Ferry trip went smooth and we made it back to Gothenburg just before 24:00. This worked well for me as there was basically no traffic, trams, or construction work to deal with while driving back to Clarion Post.

Monday

After a quick breakfast we drove the car to the Volvo Museum. I would consider this something not to miss on this trip. Enjoyed seeing the history of the company and how important safety is to the brand. Kids enjoyed the hand-on things as well. From there, we returned the car to the FDC and a driver droppped us off near Haga. We enjoyed another fika at Cafe Husaren and picked up a few souvenirs. Then took an uber to the Universeum for one last fun thing for the kids. Dinner & back to Clarion Post.

Tuesday

the long flight home & anticipatingly waiting for the credit card statement.. I constantly remind myself to never regret the money that I spend making memories with my family. pictures to follow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What started with months of planning, booking, cancelling, rebooking, saving, reserving, spending, confirming reservations, & more spending is all just a memory now of what will probably be referred to for many years as "that time we went to Sweden." So many people have asked "How was your trip?" in the last week that each time I've found it more difficult to answer.. "good" or "great" doesn't do it justice. I've loved telling people of the overseas delivery program..They're like, how'd you get that? Do you work for Volvo? I feel that sometimes my response is more lengthy than what they are interested in. How much time do you have? We've got hundreds of pictures... However, I think I'm most glad that I can say it was a successful one. No matter how much you plan you can never account for certain unknowns. Case in point - the memory that my 9 year old daughter has of last year's Disney cruise vacation was of her getting sick. Nothing we can do to change that.. However this trip wasn't marred by sickness, or missed flights, or bad weather.. On to the trip. I'll try to be brief and then upload pics from Tap-a-talk.

Sunday March 24th

We flew from Chicago to Stockholm on March 23. Arriving at Arlanda airport on the 24th. We stayed two nights at the Scandic Downtown Camper. Loved this hotel it was a pretty big place yet felt more like a boutique-type of hotel to me. Loved the style & colors that this place was decorated in. The place seemed hip but not hipster.. They had a huge breakfast buffet that was included for our 2 nights. However, we paid for the breakfast when we came to drop our bags. The did not charge for the kids but it still was not cheap. ~$50. I chose this place due to the location and the ability to buy the Stockholm CityPass in the lobby of the hotel. . It was about 10 minute walk from Central Station and 5 minute walk to Gamla Stan. After breakfast we walked to the Opera House and boarded the hop-on hop-off bus to the Vasa Museum. (both included in the city pass) Vasa Museum was definitely a must-see in Stockholm. We also visited the Nordic Museum next door to the Vasa. It was pretty interesting too but at this point my kids were hungry and exhausted from the flight, lack of sleep, time difference, & walking the streets. We hit McDonalds and a local grocery store for some Swedish candy and an uber back to the hotel.

Monday

We walked to Gamla Stan, saw the crown jewels, toured the palace, walked the streets of old town, and hit Kaffekoppen for a Fika. Later, caught the train to another part of town for some meatballs at Meatballs For the People. Typical tourist stuff. One thing we missed out on was the Nobel Prize Museum. I had intended to do it Sunday but couldn't put the kids through that. It is closed on Mondays..

Tuesday

After breakfast we caught the SJ train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. This was a nice ride and surprisingly cheap for the 4 of us. I enjoyed the trip. My wife enjoyed her nap. The kids had their faces in ipods.. We got off the train and immediately checked into the Clarion Post 9th floor corner family room, courtesy of Volvo. We walked the shopping mall next door to find a quick lunch and let the kids play in the nearby park. Dinner at Norda, compliments of Volvo. The menu was reindeer (which was on my bucketlist for this trip), some type of fish, and dessert. I enjoyed trying new things but was just not really impressed with my experience at "a michelin starred restaurant". It was nice that they did offer things more suitable for the kids (burgers and pasta) and comped it because, Volvo. But the whole meal seemed to be a lesson in patience and we were really struggling..

Wednesday

The breakfast buffet at the Clarion was similar to what we experienced in Stockholm just a bit smaller. We had breakfast and was promptly met by our driver at 9:30. The car delivery was prompt and smooth. To my knowledge, I never saw Camilla.. but Hans was great and great with our kids too. We went over the car, had Fika, shopped the store a bit, then lunch. I opted for the fish which was good but crusted with a LOT of seasoning.. and wasn't a bit hungry as we this was our third time eating between 9-12. My wife thought the meatballs were the best we had on the trip. We didn't get the shrimp sandwich but it looked HUGE. We did the factory tour which was good. Our guide was very excited to be working for Volvo & it showed. We opted to hit the Volvo museum on our return as we needed to get to Copenhagen to check into Airbnb. made a quick stop at the Koenigsegg factory on the way south. Crossed the Oresund bridge which was fun. Checked into Airbnb in Copenhagen.

Thursday

We stayed in an apartment a few blocks from the Little Mermaid statue. The Airbnb wasnt much to speak of but did provide us with a locked garage to keep our new baby for a couple nights as well as a washer and dryer to get us through the rest of our trip with clean undies. Apart from that, location was really all this place had to speak of. It was just around the corner from a Lagkaghuset Bakery which was awesome. We used this place for breakfast the next two days. We walked the city all day, 9+ miles taking in more touristy spots - Rosenborg Castle, changing of the guards at Amelienborg Palace, Nyhavn, canal boat tour & other shopping streets. We hit Gasoline Grill for lunch which was a great place to refuel. One of the best burgers I've had. we ventured pretty far from the apartment & started missing uber at this point. Pro tip- no uber in Copenhagen. We ate dinner at a little place near the apartment Tio Marios that felt a little more American. Kids had pizza and I had a pretty decent "steak on a plank". Returned to the apartment with a cake from the bakery to end my birthday in celebration.

Friday

We loaded the car and made a quick stop at the little mermaid statue for a few pics then north to Fredriksborg Castle. Apart from Volvo, this place was the highlight for me. We got there before they opened and toured the grounds (and snapped the proof picture). Including lunch at the restaurant on the grounds, we spent a little over 4 hours there I think. It was beautiful. The we headed to our next stop in Gudme, Denmark, making a quick detour to the viking ship museum in Roskilde. We stayed at the Broholm Castle in the family suite & chose to eat dinner there as well. very nice stop out in the country. Again, another long dinner ~3 hours but enjoyed speaking with the waitress who was planning a trip to the states soon.

Saturday

Opening day at Legoland in Billund and all of a sudden our kids have full energy levels again. Checked into Legoland Hotel - very impressed with the level or theming here. Decent buffets for dinner & breakfast in the resort.

Sunday

Lego House. I've compared this to The World of Coca Cola museum in Atlanta. It seems to be an alternative to letting people tour the factory. Lego House offered exhibits of lego builders works, history of the company, personal collections, lots of opportunities for kids (and adults), a small-scale production line, and unique dining options. Kids loved Mini Chef, very interactive and offered a wide enough range of food options for everyone to find something they could eat. From there, we drove to Fredrickshavn to catch the ferry back to Gothenburg. Given more time, this would have been an interesting stop as the waitress at Broholm told me of a WWII museum there with some interactive exhibits. (she did mention that it would be too intense for little kids) We noticed the cannons on the hillside as we came into town. Ferry trip went smooth and we made it back to Gothenburg just before 24:00. This worked well for me as there was basically no traffic, trams, or construction work to deal with while driving back to Clarion Post.

Monday

After a quick breakfast we drove the car to the Volvo Museum. I would consider this something not to miss on this trip. Enjoyed seeing the history of the company and how important safety is to the brand. Kids enjoyed the hand-on things as well. From there, we returned the car to the FDC and a driver droppped us off near Haga. We enjoyed another fika at Cafe Husaren and picked up a few souvenirs. Then took an uber to the Universeum for one last fun thing for the kids. Dinner & back to Clarion Post.

Tuesday

the long flight home & anticipatingly waiting for the credit card statement.. I constantly remind myself to never regret the money that I spend making memories with my family. pictures to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Had to include this last picture - my kids are telling everyone about this show they saw on tv in Sweden. A kid’s educational program discussing bodily functions. With talking butt puppets wearing toupees and characters dressed as um... #1 & #2 “Biss och Kajs “

·
Registered
26 Posts
Awesome, thanks for this write up. We have a very similar trip planned. I might have skimmed over it, but did you take the ferry to Gothenburg at the end?

I am already pinching pennies to make sure I have money for all the fun stuff. I’m worried how my 9-month-old will handle a 3-hour dinner

My wife will be happy to hear that the Norda restaurant has a kids menu for her to enjoy, while I eat my reindeer!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see you did ride the ferry back to Gothenburg. Did you book it way in advance?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great trip report, awesome photos, and beautiful car!

Thank you! We can hardly wait for our family OSD trip in June.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you did ride the ferry back to Gothenburg. Did you book it way in advance?

I did book it way in advance but apparently the ship wasn’t very full. When we were greeted at the restaurant we were told it was pretty empty. There were just a hand full of others eating. Food was about what you would expect -just ok. Other seating areas of the ship were probably 1/2 full.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for this write up. We have a very similar trip planned. I might have skimmed over it, but did you take the ferry to Gothenburg at the end?

I am already pinching pennies to make sure I have money for all the fun stuff. I’m worried how my 9-month-old will handle a 3-hour dinner

My wife will be happy to hear that the Norda restaurant has a kids menu for her to enjoy, while I eat my reindeer!

I really wanted a reindeer dish as a steak or roast. This was served cold as a starter. Not what I was hoping for but oh well.

My wife was the same way. She really would have enjoyed a burger much better. Looking back, I’m still surprised she tried the reindeer and the fish. She’s not a fish eater.. I cant imagine doing that with a 9-mo old unless you rock him/her to sleep. We wasted a lot of time waiting for a bill, fully expecting to pay for the kids meals. When I finally asked the waitress she said that there was no bill because Volvo. So we just got up and went back to the room.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Had to include this last picture - my kids are telling everyone about this show they saw on tv in Sweden. A kid’s educational program discussing bodily functions. With talking butt puppets wearing toupees and characters dressed as um... #1 & #2 “Biss och Kajs “

This is my favorite picture! My kids would've loved seeing that on TV! What a hoot!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Sunday March 24th

We flew from Chicago to Stockholm on March 23. Arriving at Arlanda airport on the 24th. We stayed two nights at the Scandic Downtown Camper. Loved this hotel it was a pretty big place yet felt more like a boutique-type of hotel to me. Loved the style & colors that this place was decorated in. The place seemed hip but not hipster.. They had a huge breakfast buffet that was included for our 2 nights. However, we paid for the breakfast when we came to drop our bags. The did not charge for the kids but it still was not cheap. ~$50. I chose this place due to the location and the ability to buy the Stockholm CityPass in the lobby of the hotel. . It was about a 10 minute walk from Central Station and 5 minute walk to Gamla Stan. After breakfast we walked to the Opera House and boarded the hop-on hop-off bus to the Vasa Museum. (both included in the city pass) Vasa Museum was definitely a must-see in Stockholm. We also visited the Nordic Museum next door to the Vasa. It was pretty interesting too but at this point my kids were hungry and exhausted from the flight, lack of sleep, time difference, & walking the streets. We hit McDonalds and a local grocery store for some Swedish candy and an uber back to the hotel.

Monday

We walked to Gamla Stan, saw the crown jewels, toured the palace, walked the streets of old town, and hit Kaffekoppen for a fika. Later, caught the train to another part of town for lunch at Meatballs For the People. Typical tourist stuff. One thing we missed out on was the Nobel Prize Museum. I had intended to do it Sunday but couldn't put the kids through that. It is closed on Mondays..

Tuesday

After breakfast we caught the SJ train from Stockholm to Gothenburg. This was a nice ride and surprisingly cheap for the 4 of us. I enjoyed the trip. My wife enjoyed her nap. The kids had their faces in ipods.. We got off the train and immediately checked into the Clarion Post - 9th floor corner family room, courtesy of Volvo. We walked the shopping mall next door to find a quick lunch and let the kids play in the nearby park. Dinner at Norda, compliments of Volvo. The menu was reindeer (which was on my bucketlist for this trip), some type of fish, and dessert. I enjoyed trying new things but was just not really impressed with my experience at "a michelin starred restaurant". It was nice that they did offer things more suitable for the kids (burgers and pasta) and comped it because, Volvo. But the whole meal seemed to be a lesson in patience and we were really struggling..

Wednesday

The breakfast buffet at the Clarion was similar to what we experienced in Stockholm just a bit smaller. We had breakfast and was promptly met by our driver at 9:30. The car delivery was prompt and smooth. To my knowledge, I never saw Camilla.. but Hans was great and great with our kids too. We went over the car, had fika, shopped the store a bit, then lunch. I opted for the fish which was good but crusted with a LOT of seasoning.. and I wasn't a bit hungry as this was our third time eating between 9-12. My wife thought the meatballs were the best we had on the trip. We didn't get the shrimp sandwich but it looked HUGE. We did the factory tour which was good. Our guide was very excited to be working for Volvo & it showed. We opted to hit the Volvo museum on our return to Gothenburg as we needed to get to Copenhagen to check into Airbnb. Made a quick stop at the Koenigsegg factory on the way south. Crossed the Oresund bridge which was fun. Checked into Airbnb in Copenhagen.

Thursday

We stayed in an apartment a few blocks from the Little Mermaid statue. The Airbnb wasn't much to speak of but did provide us with a locked garage to keep our new baby for a couple nights as well as a washer and dryer to get us through the rest of our trip with clean undies. Apart from that, location was really all this place had to speak of. It was just around the corner from a Lagkaghuset Bakery which was awesome. We used this place for breakfast the next two days. We walked the city all day, 9+ miles taking in more touristy spots - Rosenborg Castle, changing of the guards at Amelienborg Palace, Nyhavn, canal boat tour & other shopping streets. We hit Gasoline Grill for lunch which was a great place to refuel (pun intended - dad jokes, right?). One of the best burgers I've had anywhere. We ventured pretty far from the apartment & when ready to head back to our digs I soon started missing uber. Pro tip- no uber in Copenhagen. We ate dinner at a little place near the apartment Tio Marios that felt a little more American. Kids had pizza and I had a pretty decent "steak on a plank". Returned to the apartment with a cake from the bakery to end my birthday in celebration.

Friday

We loaded the car and made a quick stop at the little mermaid statue for a few pics then north to Fredriksborg Castle. Apart from Volvo, this place was the highlight for me. We got there before they opened and toured the grounds (and snapped the proof picture). Including lunch at the restaurant on the grounds, we spent a little over 4 hours there I think. It's a beautiful place with lots of history that's now used as the national museum. Then we headed to our next stop in Gudme, Denmark, making a quick detour to the viking ship museum in Roskilde. We stayed at the Broholm Castle in the family suite & chose to eat dinner there as well. Very nice stop out in the country that was just a stopping point on our way to Billund. Again, another long dinner ~3 hours but enjoyed speaking with the waitress who was planning a trip to the states soon.

Saturday

Opening day at Legoland in Billund and all of a sudden our kids have full energy levels again. Checked into Legoland Hotel - very impressed with the level of theming here. Decent buffets for dinner & breakfast in the resort.

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Thanks for sharing.....your family will be talking about this trip for a long, long time!!!

Trip to Sweden to pick up our new family car, Priceless!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOVE this thread, so much. What fun!! We could not locate many non hotel options for Copenhagen so booked Steelhouse "luxury" hostel. Fingers crossed. Did you take Stena Line from Frederickshaven to G'burg? That is our plan. TYYY

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOVE this thread, so much. What fun!! We could not locate many non hotel options for Copenhagen so booked Steelhouse "luxury" hostel. Fingers crossed. Did you take Stena Line from Frederickshaven to G'burg? That is our plan. TYYY
We did book Stena Line. I was a bit nervous about that whole process beforehand but it really wasn’t warranted. Everything went smoothly- workers were friendly, no issues with loading & unloading, & smooth sailing..

·
Registered
667 Posts
Interesting trip and photos. But I'd like to hear more about the car! Can you please explain the experience of getting the car, how the licensing and insurance worked out, what it was like to drive it in Sweden/Denmark, what was the situation with speed limits, parking, etc.? Any problems with the car while over there? How was getting gas/petrol there, and what was the cost? What kind of tolls did you encounter? How did you find the roads there? When is the car supposed to be delivered home?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts