SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I parked my V50 last night, with the fuel light on, but they trip computer reading 20km until empty. That's usually MORE than enough to start the next morning, and get me to Chevron down the road. Not today, nope, nada, no way.

It's a holiday here today, so I slept late, and did some housework. Decided to go to the gym an hour or so ago, but one thing stopped me. You guessed it, no gas! I now have the 3 lines showing on the computer, and the car will not start. No one around the help me out, and my other 2 cars in front of the Volvo, so I called Volvo On Call. Simple, easy to use, and a nice service. Now waiting for Clover Towing to save my ass.

Al

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Trip computers that lie, and Volvo On Call.... (Al Canuck)

Hmmm, its your fault. Really. Keep it topped and you will be problem free. Come on, the light comes on when you get 100km or 65 miles untill the "dry" zone

I had this problem also once with a loaner
I was a bit surprised too, but i gave ma a lesson, when thh light comes on, go to the station

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

I don't trust the trip computer- it says I can do 150mi when I know there is no way in hell I can do that on the remaining fuel. Unless I turn off the AC. While I'm in the slipstream of a semi. After removing 200kg of excess weight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Trip computers that lie, and Volvo On Call.... (eurotrash)

I often drive my car untill like 20-30 kms left. No problems so far BUT sometimes when i fill just few litres if im out of money, the trip computer doesnt add any km's or the tach dont move at all (still like 3-4 litres should give me like 50 kms of driving highway)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Trip computers that lie, and Volvo On Call.... (gg)

I regularly run my tank that low, without any issues until now. 15k km, and I've never filled it with over 30km left until empty. Most times, there are still several litres of fuel left in the tank, so this time was a bit odd. I'm going to mention it to Volvo when I go in for all my other repairs in a week or 2.

Al

·
Registered
323 Posts
same here, i let it run down on a regular basis... I have a rule of filling up once a week every sunday. I usually have 20 miles to go until empty tank with the ligth coming on at around 60miles to go

I wont however leave not filling up if it goes to 20 or below because i find the car must feed the fuel back into the tank when off... and then when on, feed fuel back into the engine + extra (during cold starts). So what it was on a warm engine last night, would not be there on a cold engine and so 20 last night would be 0 or none today.

thats just my theory though

·
Registered
158 Posts
Re: Trip computers that lie, and Volvo On Call.... (tomi22)

Welcome to the world of high tech Volvo electronics. I had filled my tank and took a 350 plus mile trip. When I got home the gas gauge showed I was low on fuel but it was late so I figured I would fill the tank the next morning. The next morning my gas gauge shows a full tank and the trip computer shows over 400 miles till empty. (at least the two were in sync). I headed straight to the gas station. The car took over 13 gallons. After that the gauge appeared to be operating properly. I reported this to Volvo but they were unable to repeat it. It hasn't happened since but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I have never had that problem in any other car I have owned and this car is by far the most expensive. Ahh Progress.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Trip computers that lie, and Volvo On Call.... (v50t5black)

I have no problems running mine down to just 1 dash, only once, when exiting a car park down a steep ramp, did it stutter - like it let some air in the line due to low levels, if the car's on the level it's usually okay.

·
Registered
323 Posts
was there not an issue in the s40s with the tanks and something in them?
very sketchy i know but when I first got my s40, I remember there being a thread about the measuring being wrong and it turned out to be a sensor or some sort of ball that caused the issue?

my s60 has no issues like this apart from what I mentioned and that happens in all cars. the s40 had no issues either

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: (Akash)

Quote, originally posted by Akash »
was there not an issue in the s40s with the tanks and something in them?

It was the "sending unit" that caused the problem for my gas gauge. See here.
BTW, the problem hasn't resurfaced for me since the fix.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Last time I left it run that low (trip computer showing 0km or 3 lines to empty), calculated I had about 4 litres left in the tank after topping it up.

I guess I have a pessimistic gauge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.