SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this summer, after some wheeling and dealing on craigslist (bought one set of bars that weren't meant for volvos for $10, sold them for $90. Bought the Thule bars with factory mounts for $115) I put them on the car. They looked great, but there was a small problem. The bars overhang by something like 8 inches. After hitting my own head twice and my father hit his once I resolved to fix the bars and decided to trim them down. If you have all the tools, this should only take an hour. I used a portable band saw from harbor freight. The bars came out just right and I didn't lose any fingers, surprisingly.
I started by taking the bars off the car and measuring the distance between the brackets on the bars:

It's somewhere around 38 inches, depending on how you have the pads sitting on the roof. I'm sure there's a "factory" number floating around somewhere online.
Next, remove the endcaps (don't lose 'em), and measure the full length of the bars. I believe I measured 64''. I think. Cut that number in half and use that to find the center of each bar. Cut the number you measured for between the brackets in half and measure that on either side of center and lock the brackets in place there. I use painters tape to mark everything and to make sure stuff doesn't move around without me knowing.
Now, measure what you think is a reasonable length beyond the outside edge of the bracket. I suggest laying down an area of tape wrapped all the way around the bar in two or three layers and then measuring and marking so you have some wiggle room. The tape layers will help from the saw chewing up the rubber/plastic coating as much.
---

-----
I left 2.75-3'' beyond the outer edge of the brackets.
--

---
Now... The fun part!! In this corner... we have the harbor freight port-a-bandsaw. *Insert my usual disclaimer about wearing safety glasses and gloves.*
--

---
This thing works good but is sketchy as hell after about three or four years of use. After making the first cut, I took my finger off the trigger... only to find the saw kept running!! My brother, who was holding the bar down while cutting, was not as amused as I was... Plus, the back plate is gone so if the blade tension goes wrong it could just walk off and try to eat someone's face.
Alright, here's a before picture. Note the large amount of overhang just waiting to ruin an unsuspecting passenger's day upon exiting the vehicle.
----

---
Here's the after:

----

This should make my day less hazardous and reduce wind noise and drag somewhat until I can get the time to build a wind fairing to go in front.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top