SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Magnus somehow smacked his driver's side sill molding on something. The molding was shifted back 1/4", which sheared several of the lower bumper rivets and the forward flange that reaches into the wheel well.

I need to pull the molding to weld it back together. It is held by seven of the "push in the core" 9133417 rivets along the bottom, and nine of a new-to-me square white 8678010 snap assembly. I've broken one so far, and I don't know how to persuade them to release from the body.

Any hints? Removal is covered in VIDA as #841, but the illustration isn't enough of a hint for me:

I tried pushing in on the center while pulling back on the edge, but it just broke.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
While keeping a pulling pressure on the rivet, push on the internal top and bottom tabs with a small bladed screw driver. Pop!

·
Registered
257 Posts
While keeping a pulling pressure on the rivet, push on the internal top and bottom tabs with a small bladed screw driver. Pop!
Exactly. When I took my sills off I had to break a couple of those clips to figure it out, but when you push in the center it will retract the fins holding it in and you'll be able to pull it out. The hard part is applying enough pressure while trying to pull it out at the same time. Mine were pretty stiff.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have a different method. Place hydraulic jack under the car in the wrong place. Raise jack. Let car fall off jack shoving jack between still and body panel. Presto! Still removed.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch! Well, Magnus went the same way with a rock, but less efficiently. I'll have to finish the job

1 - 6 of 6 Posts