SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
isopropyl alcohol, WD, Turtle wax or other?
soap and water after, water only and/or spray wax (IE: Chem Guys)

Realy wish I could find a simple car cover for just the horizontal surfaces to use during certain parts of the year.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used a vinegar and water mix 1/3 vinegar with patience. Then clay and sealant/wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Best bet is a clay bar. It will take of new and dried tree sap without paint damage, it will be much easier as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I find the Mother's Clay bar superior to the other brands I find at the parts store. Superior as in, easiest to work with and faster cutting with the Mothers detailing spray. Just my opinion..If there is something better I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use the Harley Davidson tar and bug remover as the finish on the bikes can be delicate and it does a great job and doesn’t take much elbow grease.

2004 S60R M66 Flash Green/Atacama
2004 V70R M66 Mystic Silver/Gobi
1997 S90
2005 XC90 V8 Magic Blue/Taupe
2008 S80 3.2 Shimmer Gold/Sandstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They are pretty much the same. The black colored ones are more aggressive and are better for cleaning stubborn brake/dust/tar deposits off of alloy wheels. I use the white/blue colored bars on paint. You do not really need to use the clay lube that they sell for $$$. Instead use car wash shampoo with water as you would if you are washing a really dirty car. After you have used the clay bar run your fingers on the paint and you will see how smooth the finish compared to the rest of the car.

Make sure the area to be clayed is clear of any loose debris/grit. Break off a small chunk of clay and flatten it out. Apply a generous amount of lube to the problem area. Then dip the flattened clay in your lube and then rub using a side to side or back and forth motion. Make sure the area is properly lubed while using the clay bar.

The clay also really works well on cleaning the windshield, I use it to prep before applying RainX. It gets the glass really smooth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Claying will take off whatever sealant or wax you have so make sure you reapply.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Non-acetone nail polish remover works easily to remove tree sap from our car and varnished wood kayaks, and I have not repaired either's finish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts