SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst traveling in Sweden & Germany it is compulsory to use snow tires. Failure to comply with the legislation can result in a fine, and if you cause an accident then the fine can be increased, and mean the level of your insurance could be reduced by up to 20 - 30%.
My OSD is on Dec 15th what is the deal with snow tires and driving in Europe? I doubt my Florida bound car will be coming with M+S tires??

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I think all US-spec Volvos get A/S tires unless you ask your dealer for something else.

From December 1 to March 31st you need to have tires marked with the M+S to drive if there is any snow or ice on the roadway. Can you get away with whatever comes on your car...probably but it does snow in Sweden and it is much safer to have snow tires.

Germany is similar except it is from October 1st to Easter and again it is only required if there is any ice or snow on the road. Unlike Sweden, they do not allow studded tires as far as I know but I just moved to Germany a few weeks ago so I am not super familiar with the particulars yet.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I received my XC60 last week of November 2012. There wasn't any snow. In 2003 I received my XC90 in late October. We encountered an inch of snow outside of Stockholm. Both times we had stock tires. Either way, snow or not, I am sure the FDC will make sure you meet the requirements.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
You can rent snow tires. We timed our OSD in part to avoid the need (April).

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see now that Winter is here the OSD website has changed and added a winter driving section. The factory can rent tires but they have to be returned to the factory. I started my OSD months ago and planned everything including flying out of Copenhagen. Between my dealer, US based OSD staff and the information from Volvo someone could have mentioned needing winter tires.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Guys - what I wrote is the correct information. You only legally need the tires that are marked to be used in the snow if there are wintery conditions on the road during the time periods mentioned. (Just keep in mind that in cold weather, Summer tires do not perform as well as winter tires do because they are made of a different compound meant to be used above 50 Degrees F generally).

Just check if your car comes with the M+S all-season tires and then you are fine just be careful if it does snow because they are not as good as true snow tires. If the car does come equipped with pure Summer tires then I agree that you will need to figure something out with the Factory Delivery Center but they must be used to this issue by now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I arranged my OSD in Feb 2012 (for pickup in May 2012), a notice concerning winter tire regulation was provided as part of the brochure and order forms. My dealer also made mention that by picking up after April 1st we avoided the winter tire requirement.

The OSD section of Volvo's website has further info regarding the winter tire requirement.

My OSD rep mentioned, and I also seem to recall discussion in this forum, that the FDC only has limited space to store your original equipment tires while you tour Europe. If you don't have a storage spot reserved in advance, you will need to make your own storage arrangements and/or cart them around in the back of your car (although I would think only an XC60 or XC90 could *conceivably* be capable of this). Based on my experience with the FDC folks, they would do all possible to accommodate storing your tires.

Big Will mentioned that M+S tires will satisfy the winter tire requirement - as long as you have purchased a vehicle equipped with said tires, it seems all should be fine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
What model Volvo are you picking up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picking p a XC60. Planning 10 day trip with our two college age kids. I have an email out to the dealer and the US OSD reps. The dealer has apologized for not mentioning the tires. I will call FDC Monday to see what can be done.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I see now that Winter is here the OSD website has changed and added a winter driving section. The factory can rent tires but they have to be returned to the factory. I started my OSD months ago and planned everything including flying out of Copenhagen. Between my dealer, US based OSD staff and the information from Volvo someone could have mentioned needing winter tires.
We ordered about 6 months before pickup and researched for several months before that. I saw the winter tires mentioned in several places -- website and paperwork. We picked dates to avoid the winter-tire requirement (actually, the dates were to avoid the worst of the winter weather).

The best reference I could find for the winter tire definition was from the US Military: "All-season" (marked with M+S) tires count as "Winter Tires" for Germany. What stock tire these days is not "All-season"?

http://www.baumholder.army.mil/sites/local/FrontPageInfo/SnowTiresLaw.pdf

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link, factory confirmed that the stock tires are all season with the M+S designation. I should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Glad to be of assistance!

I got plenty of help here when planning my OSD trip.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thanks for the link, factory confirmed that the stock tires are all season with the M+S designation. I should be good to go.
William confirmed my tires for me. All I got back from the FDC was an offer to rent me tires for 700SEK, for 2 days use.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Heads up, despite our car having all-season tires and getting assurances from William we were OK to drive, we got an unpleasant surprise when we picked up our car. We we're told our tires did no measure up and reall snow tires would be needed for us to take the car out on the roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting! I'm schedule to fly up for delivery in a few weeks and according to rep at the local military sales here in Germany the all-seasons will suffice. I even tried to have winters installed as part of my build but was told it wasn't an available option through OSD.

I know here in Germany their ok because I have them on my current car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is what I was told when I arrived,

Southern Europe (Germany, France, Austria...) requires at least All Season tires with M/S designation. Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Norway) require a dedicated snow tire. Since I was leaving Sweden and heading south directly FDC let me go. If I was going to drive around Sweden or go North I feel quite certain I would have needed snow tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We picked our up three weeks ago and it never came up. After retrieving the car we spent another day on Gothenburg and then headed down to Copenhagen for a few.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We picked our up three weeks ago and it never came up. After retrieving the car we spent another day on Gothenburg and then headed down to Copenhagen for a few.
I just love consistency:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I just love consistency:rolleyes:
I doubt the Swedish "DMV" or "DOT" has roadside checkpoints where they verify that you have dedicated snow tires. But get into an accident where the Police are involved and I could see enforcement action. The FAA operates that way in the US with pilots; there aren't inspectors out there every day making sure your medical and flight review are current; but get into an accident and they'll be checking paperwork and imposing sanctions if you're not in compliance.

I don't think FDC can prevent you from driving off without snow tires. I can't see Marcus standing in front of the driveway trying to prevent me from leaving. There are people who pick up the car, drive it on the "track" and sign it back in... There were people there during our OSD who signed the acceptance and return paperwork without getting up -- they had no intentions of driving in Sweden (this was at the end of the 2012 Winter package).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts