SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even after 5.5 months we keep learning new things about the car.

Today's interesting experience is my wife got trapped inside the car. The whole family drove someplace for dessert. She initially stayed in the car to use her phone but I locked the door when I left because she was alone in a parking lot.

Later she wanted to join us but the unlock button does not work from the inside if the key fob is not present. She tried it many times without success and I duplicated the issue later. If you try to manually open the door lever within the car it sets off the alarm and STILL does not unlock the car. She was literally trapped until I showed up with the key fob, disabled the alarm and unlocked the doors.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That is a serious safety hazard. I hope you notify your dealer or Volvo NA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
That's interesting so I went to test this out in our 2015 F150 which has the intelligent access and locked the doors and the person was able to unlock the doors and alarm didn't go off.

I agree they should change that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did she try drivers door? I had a similar experience but it was because child safety lock was on and had to crawl to the drivers seat to get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow! I do not like reading this. Having a newborn and another child, we do this all of the time. We stay in the car, the husband goes inside. I would not like this and I am interested to hear if this is happening to others.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am curious for others to test this as well. Remember when you do that for the test to mimic the conditions the key fob has to be out of range. So if you test this at home you need two people and the person outside the car should lock the doors then leave the area with the key fob and return after the person has tested trying to unlock and open the doors.

I plan to test it again later using the driver's door instead of the front passenger door.

And, yeah, this has never been the case with any of my previous cars. With them if you open a locked door manually without hitting the unlock you might set the alarm off but the door would still open. And if you unlock first it doesn't set the alarm off.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Okay, just tested this about 5 different ways with mixed results.

1) If you unlock the door, get in, have someone on the outside then lock it and walk away with the key fob BUT YOU NEVER TURN ON THE ENGINE the unlock button DOES work fine.

2) If you have been using the car (i.e. the engine was on), then you turn the engine off, someone with the key gets out and locks the door and walks away with the key fob the unlock button does NOT work on any of the 4 doors, including the driver's door. I would guess this is a bug rather than a feature, doesn't make any sense.

3) However, even if the unlock button doesn't work and the door is locked, I was able to manually open the door from the driver's side or the rear passengers. It sets off the alarm but at least it doesn't trap you. For some reason, at least in our car, it doesn't open from the front passenger.

So the bottom line is only one door truly traps you though all of them only work manually (i.e. the unlock button is disabled) and will set off the alarm. Again, some of my previous cars would set off the alarm too if you opened the door manually while locked from the inside. But none have ever disabled the unlock button before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
MWe've had numerous problems with the locking system. On two occasions now the rear passenger door would not open from the inside or the outside and we would get an error message on the dash that the locking system is faulty. I brought it into the dealer but they could not replicate. And therefore did not fix it. I have a picture of this. It is happened twice now if it continues to happen and they cannot fix I might have to lemon law this car.

Yesterday my wife put her purse in the car with the key inside the purse. She stepped outside but closed the door, and the car locked itself. With the keys inside. It was not running. She had to call me, and I was able to unlock it with the app, but what was weird was only the trunk would open. So she had to open the trunk and then after about three seconds the rest of the car would unlock. I am really shocked that this is happening with Volvo. I have had cars with keyless entry for 10 years and have never once had problems like this.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just tested this as well and i did not get trapped inside the car. I can still open any door and get out but it sets off the alarm. The alarm only comes on when the engine was running and then you get locked inside. When i get locked inside w/o the engine running, i can exit the car w/o the alarm going off. So in either case i was never trapped. I could still exit vehicle.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I just tested this as well and i did not get trapped inside the car. I can still open any door and get out but it sets off the alarm. The alarm only comes on when the engine was running and then you get locked inside. When i get locked inside w/o the engine running, i can exit the car w/o the alarm going off.
I want to clarify to make sure your behavior is different than my car's. If you have had the engine running but turn it off and immediately the driver leaves, locks the car and walks out of range with the key fob, your unlock button still works? The behavior in my car is completely different with the engine off if it has been off (i.e. if you unlock a car that has already been off, get in, driver gets out, locks and walks away) than if was just turned off before (i.e. use the car, then the driver leaves, locks and walks out of range). It's the latter that disables the unlock and sets off the alarm if the doors are used (and doesn't work from my front passenger door).

·
Registered
372 Posts
I did not use the unlock button. I just simply opened the door with the handle. But you are correct that you cannot unlock using the unlock button. In order to exit, you have to use the handle and it automatically unlocks that door to exit (even the front passenger door), but the alarm goes off if the engine was running prior to being locked inside. I think this works as expected because the car thinks someone bypassed the lock and jimmied the door. It does not set off the alarm when engine was not running and in this case you can use the unlock button or simply pull the handle to exit the car. But either way at no point was I trapped in the car.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not use the unlock button. I just simply opened the door with the handle. But you are correct that you cannot unlock using the unlock button. In order to exit, you have to use the handle and it automatically unlocks that door to exit (even the front passenger door), but the alarm goes off if the engine was running prior to being locked inside. I think this works as expected because the car thinks someone bypassed the lock and jimmied the door. It does not set off the alarm when engine was not running and in this case you can use the unlock button or simply pull the handle to exit the car. But either way at no point was I trapped in the car.
So it sounds like your behavior is the same but for the front passenger door. I'll add it to the list for my dealer to look at when I take it in for the recalls and software update. Just waiting out the big update. I'm not sure I agree that its correct for it to defeat the unlock button. The situation of someone intentionally staying in the car with the doors locked then wanting to get out without setting the alarm off is pretty common.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did the same thing today my wife could not open the doors from the passenger side like we could in our S60R. but it was the child safety lock. Only the driver side door unlocks the whole car it seems when it is engaged. I couldn't open the rear doors from outside while the car was sitting parked and the engine on.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
So it sounds like your behavior is the same but for the front passenger door. I'll add it to the list for my dealer to look at when I take it in for the recalls and software update. Just waiting out the big update. I'm not sure I agree that its correct for it to defeat the unlock button. The situation of someone intentionally staying in the car with the doors locked then wanting to get out without setting the alarm off is pretty common.
citivas,

I tried it on two different XC90s, from our fleet, and I was able to exit each vehicle only that the alarm went off.

I had to pull the door handles twice, as it is common with all Volvos.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Doesn't the new XC90 have BLL? Not sure of the english name, but it's called Blockerad låsläge in swedish.

When the car is locked with the key, my previous '12 V40 went into BLL after 10 seconds, my current V70 does it after 30 seconds. Then it's impossible to open the doors from the inside, or unlock the doors with the buttons inside. Theft-prevention.
If you however sit in the car, and lock it from the inside with the lock-button, there's no BLL active and you can exit whenever you please.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The situation of someone intentionally staying in the car with the doors locked then wanting to get out without setting the alarm off is pretty common.
Wouldn't you activate "reduced guard" for this situation? BTW you someone is intentionally staying in the car then he/she can lock the doors him/herself (and not get locked in)...
I'm slightly puzzled over this use case...

·
Registered
534 Posts
I understand how your wife must felt, but on the other hand, is this not normal functionality?

If you locked the car from the outside, the basic concept is that's really locked. Almost all manufacturers use so called double-locking, were the inside is locked as well. The idea is to avoid a burglar can smash a window and enter the car. The double lock is activated a couple of seconds after the standard lock.

·
Registered
674 Posts
citivas,

I tried it on two different XC90s, from our fleet, and I was able to exit each vehicle only that the alarm went off.

I had to pull the door handles twice, as it is common with all Volvos.
This is exactly what I was going to mention. Did all of you who have experimented with this try pulling the door handle twice?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts