SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have decided to flush the tranny again as its been quite a while since I did it last time (about 40-45k ago). Went with some Toyota t-iv last time from the dealership. No Toyota dealerships near where I'm living now so did some research and found the Castrol Transmax IMV is approved for the type-iv fluid which would lead me to believe it's all good for our transmissions. Also read a few things on BITOG and people have had good success with it in their volvos.

Also picked up some transtune from pep boys as well as another 3/8 magnefine filter for after the flush is done. Got home and added a half can of the transtune (8oz) and will drive on that next week until probably Friday or Saturday. A lot of people said they didn't feel a difference until they left it in for a few hundred miles which will be perfect as I drive a little under 600 miles for school every week .

Will report back with my results and/complications lol.

Side note: Going to also do an oil change with some Mobil1 0w-40 and see if that does anything for the mystery oil consumption I had last OCI with some Napa 10w-30 syn. Lost about 3/4 of a quart in like 500 miles with no visible leaks/seepage from anyway. This oil had great UOA numbers even when left in some cars during an extended drain.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
Her is my 2cents and you probably wont like it. Why not use Mobil 3309 instead of the Castrol transmax. I know that it is the "equivilant" but not what is supposed to be used.And it most likely costs about the same. Also, if your tranny works fine,why fiddle with a good thing by adding transtune?If you are inclined to use any additive,you could add Lubeguard after the flush.Lubeguard stabilizes the fluid and keeps it from overheating.It is the one and only thing I would consider using.Lastly,those inline filters are nothing short of a gimmick to make you think that you are adding extra protection.All that would do IF your tranny is creating contamination by metalic or clutch material is restrict fluid flow. Feel free to ask me how I know this stuff via PM.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her is my 2cents and you probably wont like it. Why not use Mobil 3309 instead of the Castrol transmax. I know that it is the "equivilant" but not what is supposed to be used.And it most likely costs about the same. Also, if your tranny works fine,why fiddle with a good thing by adding transtune?If you are inclined to use any additive,you could add Lubeguard after the flush.Lubeguard stabilizes the fluid and keeps it from overheating.It is the one and only thing I would consider using.Lastly,those inline filters are nothing short of a gimmick to make you think that you are adding extra protection.All that would do IF your tranny is creating contamination by metalic or clutch material is restrict fluid flow. Feel free to ask me how I know this stuff via PM.

How dare you recommend the correct fluid!!!!! Just kidding of course

I was actually doing some searching and found out that type-iv is sold at a Napa near me. However, it won't be available for any number of days according to a guy I talked to over the phone.

And my tranny shifts fine one I'm on the high or just cruising around town but during garage type shifts (R-D, D-R, P-R) it slams into gear like my old Chevy s10 used to. It did this shortly after I bought the car with 160k on it and after I flushed the first time, the problem diminished until just recently where it feels like the trans is getting yanked out of the car when it engages. Thus, the transtune and fluid change.

I've heard of the lubeguard product but have never actually seen it in any stores. It's sort of like Bigfoot, I presume.

And lastly regarding the filter, what is in the car right now has been in there since I last flushed it so I'm anxious myself to see if it actually did anything. Regardless, I have already slashed the $100+ hose in half so I'm kind of forced to just replace the fliter with, well, another filter lol... Moreover, I will be cutting the old filter in half and actually looking at it. Will post pictures of said process as I don't think I've seen one cut open for our cars yet.

I also figure, that if there are going to be chunks that big to clog the filter up and restrict flow even with the bypass open, then the trans has gone to tranny heaven anyway, ya know? Even without the filter on and chunks start coming through the lines, its only a matter of time before I'm flintston-ing it home.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone on here ever had experience with the Castrol fluid? As a reminder, I did not get it because it was cheaper, I decided to go with it due to availability.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You can get Mobil 3309 on Amazon for less than $100 delivered to you.It's your tranny though. Same thing with the Lubeguard.I would take that filter back and put a hose barb between the cuts and use oticker clamps on the rubber.They will not dig into the rubber.Like I said,Ask me how I know.Just trying to give you good advice and not trying to sound harsh in any way.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Lastly,those inline filters are nothing short of a gimmick to make you think that you are adding extra protection.All that would do IF your tranny is creating contamination by metalic or clutch material is restrict fluid flow. Feel free to ask me how I know this stuff via PM.
I would take that filter back and put a hose barb between the cuts and use oticker clamps on the rubber.They will not dig into the rubber.Like I said,Ask me how I know.Just trying to give you good advice and not trying to sound harsh in any way.
I'll bite. How do you know?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the transmax for around 68-70 bucks already and has been stated by Castrol that it is fully compatible with 3309 and can be used with no issues. I've had zero issues with the magnefine filter on this car and have had good success with them previously in other vehicles. After I take it out and cut it open, I'll see if it actually did anything or was in danger of restricting and if so I'll bring it back and get a refund along with some hose + barb fittings.

Basically. Just because I'm saving a few bucks, does not mean my trans will fail/suffer because of it. If it was some supertech type-iv fluid then I would feel like im taking a huge risk however Castrol is a trusted brand and if their rep says it is OK to use without issue, well then I'll believe him.

I mean, people always recommend "Toyota" fluid or use redline/Amsoil/maxlife. With the Toyota fluid and the Amsoil they state 3309 spec. However the redline (trusted brand) and the maxlife (also trusted brand) have been used with absolutely no problems along with the aforementioned Castrol.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been using Maxlife synthetic ATF for quite a while now, and I have a Magnefine inline filter. So far, no ill effects to report. I do a drain and fill every other oil change and the fluid drains out ruby red and smells new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts