SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been having transmission problems on and off for about 6-8 months now with rough shifts coming out of nowhere, the CEL coming on and also "Service Transmission" popping up on the dash also and then loss of all gears (it turns into a - where there should be a gear #)

Pulling onto the side of the road and resetting the ECU cures the problem and the car shifts smooth as silk for couple days/weeks.

I flushed the transmission not too long ago thinking the fluid was the problems given what VIDA told me about the codes I read from the car. The fluid was thick as old motor oil! Flushed the system till it was almost clear red with 24qts of oil.

Car has been shifting great until yesterday :( shifted great in the morning when it was only about 75-80deg out but driving home at 4pm was another story, its been hitting highs lately as Im sure most the people he live on the east coast know. Just wondering if the car sitting all day in the 100+ heat could of been a problem? Maybe the cooler isnt working? IDK

Here is what DiCE & ViDA could tell me

Just trying to figure out my best options from the experts here. Been to Volvo about software upgrades and they said everything was up to date. Nearest Dealership is over an hr away :(

Just wondering why it shifts great after a ECU reset then couple days/weeks later it shifts like crap and starts throwing codes outta nowhere. Think its a dying transmission or what?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dibs on spacers. j/k
Muhahaha that's why you said I should start a thread! :D

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
lol...

do you still have the shots pre trans flush? (I mean are you getting the same errors?)

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Also just some more info for members to help him out.. he flushed his trans fluid when it had over 104k miles... A flush was not done before that.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
its been hitting highs lately as Im sure most the people he live on the east coast know.
Lol, it's been 10 days straight of over 100 degrees and 90% humidity here. No AC sucks.

But that aside, you need to reset the fluid counter when you do a transmission flush. I don't think you mentioned doing it in your post...but it definitely sounds like a software or electrical issue if the transmission shifts fine after an ECU reset.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Lol, it's been 10 days straight of over 100 degrees and 90% humidity here. No AC sucks.

But that aside, you need to reset the fluid counter when you do a transmission flush. I don't think you mentioned doing it in your post...but it definitely sounds like a software or electrical issue if the transmission shifts fine after an ECU reset.
Dude! still no AC??! A lot of people have already died this summer.. dont take it lightly.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HA!

Does your R have a transmission counter?, did you reset that after the flush?
I wish it was a TMNT shirt :D

But yes sorry I reset the transmission adaption and the counter under ViDA.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol...

do you still have the shots pre trans flush? (I mean are you getting the same errors?)
Everything was the same ad before, codes and symptoms.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Dude! still no AC??! A lot of people have already died this summer.. dont take it lightly.
Yeah i've given up doing it myself, I'm paying someone to fix it tomorrow morning actually. It's funny because when it's 108 or so during the day the hot air blowing in with the windows down singes my face, and when the temperature drops to 98 or so after 6:00pm it starts feeling a little chilly somehow... You sort of get used to it, I just always make sure I've got enough water in the car with me

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yea that's what I was thinking also just not sure where to start since Volvo could "not replicate" these symptoms when I took it them and charged me 120$ for driving my own car, never wanna go there again.

Id take it too them when it starts driving like this but the lack of gears on the highway for an hr just doesn't seem like a good ideal :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
What type of transmissions fluid are you using ? If nothing else I would drain and fill with Redline D4 automatic transmission fluid which is synthetic and should hold up to the heat better:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30504

I use their 10W30 engine oil and once I run through all my Mobil 3309 fluid I plan on switching to their D4.

Is there any chance your transmission and coolant could be mixing in the radiator? Take a sample of your used transmission fluid and send it off for a used oil analysis ASAP.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts