SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the in-laws '06 S60 all this past week and between 20 and 30 mph the auto tranny would up shift into what felt like 2nd which would make the engine rev up about 500-600 rpm causing the car to surge slightly.<p>Who's bright idea at Volvo was this any way and what's the idea behind it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Transmission up shift when slowing (Beiner)

Do you mean downshifting? If your cruising at 20 - 30 mph you should be in 3rd or even 4th gear. If it downshifts roughly when your slowing down I'd tell them to take it to the dealer to get it looked at. If it seems like its flaring on an upshift then its possible there could be a problem with your torque converter or maybe the TCM. In general, Volvo's transmissions suck, dont wait till the warranty runs up to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Transmission up shift when slowing (grovesj2)

S60's transmissions are extremely reliable. Aisin Warner, (manufacturer of the transmissions) make extremely good trans. Thats why they make Toyota tranmissions as well.<p>Just change the fluid out at 45/50K with Mobil 3309 and it will be fine.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Transmission up shift when slowing (fredmc)

That is the most UNknowledgable statement of the week.<br>The newer (last 6 years) AisinWarner 5 speeds have been nothing but trouble for Volvo, TOYOTA and other manufacturers.<br><B>They need to be upgraded (software) and serviced frequently.</B><br>The owners manuals do not state this which has resulted in MANY blown transmissions.<br>Toyota, well at least Lexus, recommends a fluid change (not a flush) every 30K miles

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Transmission up shift when slowing (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is the most UNknowledgable statement of the week.<br>The newer (last 6 years) AisinWarner 5 speeds have been nothing but trouble for Volvo, TOYOTA and other manufacturers.<br><B>They need to be upgraded (software) and serviced frequently.</B><br>The owners manuals do not state this which has resulted in MANY blown transmissions.<br>Toyota, well at least Lexus, recommends a fluid change (not a flush) every 30K miles</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Cool off JRL.<br>The week just started, and relax.<br>If you know so much specific information on warranty and stats then go ahead. If you are just shooting from the hip then we will know. <br>I mean comments not subjective but quantitative. Go ahead make my week.<br>The software update was corrected. Aisin Warner trans are the most reliable out there. I haven't heard of failures on this board or others. Go to a Ford Escape forum if you want to talk about real failures.<br>Everyone always subjectively complains of automatic transmissions. From Honda on down. But give me actual numbers where it shows the S60 is inferior to others. You cannot do it. They are very reliable and my trans shifts like butter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: Transmission up shift when slowing (fredmc)

There are quite a bit of posts on here about transmission problems, from software failure to replacement of specific parts (i.e. B4 servo) to just downright failure of the transmission causing the need for replacement. In just the first 3 pages on this forum there are 4 posts about transmission problems. Also, when people have to replace a transmission there is really no need for them to post about it cause all it would be is a vent session.<br>But in case you need more proof. I just had to replace my transmission. My S60 only has 40K miles on it and I already had to spend $4000 on a remanufactured tranny, dont even get me started on the price of a new trans. Also, before that I shelled out $200 for the software upgrade to get rid of neutral shift as well as another $200 to get the B4 servo rebuilt.<br>Because of my transmission problems Ive done a lot of searching on this site as well as other and everything Ive seen leads me to believe that the AW transmissions definitely SUCK!!<br>Apparently, you are one of the lucky ones that hasnt had any problems, keep your fingers crossed that it stays that way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>grovesj2</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you mean downshifting? If your cruising at 20 - 30 mph you should be in 3rd or even 4th gear.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yeah, sorry. It is a downshift and I was always decelerating when it occured. Albeit a premature downshift but a downshift none the less. I know these trans are not that great that's why I flush my XC at 30k or more often.<p>I'll check to see if my dealer knows <I>anything</I>. Maybe a new software upgrade or something.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Every forum will have more problem post than good posts. Trans problems exist, but not to a major level.<br>Sorry your trans went out at 40K, obviously it wasn't in warranty so it lasted 4 years min.<p>Was it driven rough? Did you ever change the trans fluid?<br>Did any servicing occur?<p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts