SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not find any posts on the topic. One of my customers totalled his 2001 S60 T5M recently.... He is going to buy it from the insurance company and attempt to part it out.... Does anybody know if it is at all possible to swap his manual trans into my 2001 that currently has GT??? If so, how much of a pain in the butt would it be??? What types of supporting parts am I going to need???

I have access to fairly cheap labor from Volvo Master techs, but I thought I would ask here first before they laugh me out of the room!

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: Transmission Swap (dugums)

Its not impossible, but I'm sure you would need to tweak the car's software.

Not to mention installing the clutch pedal, clutch cylinder etc.

Personally, I think you would be better off finding a used T5 M instead.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Transmission Swap (VolvoMax)

Probably right, I was just trying to see the logistics as I can pick up all the parts for almost no $. If not, I am not looking for a new vehicle yet, Heck, I am not even close to done screwing this one up!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Transmission Swap (dugums)

A number of 850 owners have been doing this. They had problems with the transmission and clutch linkage being different for various years - two basic models, and you had to get the right one.

You'd have to get the entire pedal linkage for both clutch and brake, the clutch master cylinder the brake fluid resevoir (it provides fluid to the clutch master cylinder) the clutch hydralic lines, the transmission, the driveshafts (most vendors list different ones for manual and automatic - may need different ones for a T5 but probably not) and the shift linkage, the flywheel and clutch form the manual transmission, the center console immediately surrounding the linkage, and the shift cables. All of that should be on the wrecked car.

Doing the job is typically supposed to be a 9-10 hour job to change a clutch, which means that is the time to pull the transmission, install a new clutch, and then reinstall the transmission. Figures probably twice that time to do what you want, because you have to pull the old automatic trans shift linkage, put the new in, change the pedals, and route the clutch hydralic lines (not hard, but the clutch master cylinder might be a pain to install, very tight, and located under the brake booster, and maybe only slightly off to one side of it.)

Mechanically, it is not the hardest job to do on a car, just timeconsuming, and you probably need to have the manual on removing/installing the parts.

The biggest problem is that the ECU is designed for an automatic, and has the code designed for that. You would have to see if you could find an ECU that would work for your car, try to use his ECU, and that may not be impossible because you both have '01 cars, but I think the ECU is mated to the car by use of the VIN, and that has to be surmounted. I'd call IPD to see what they know about how hard that part would be. They may refer you to TME in Sweden, but one or the other would probably know enough to tell you whether this is the killer that stops the swap, or is simply another problem that can be solved.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Transmission Swap (wizzard_al)

Thanks for the reply- I have had a chance to talk with the mechanics who will be helping me... They tell me pretty much the same thing. They are excited to do the swap, but are a little aprehensive about what modules (ecu, etc.) will be affected.

The amount of time seems about what I estimated, and since a will be mainly paying for the time with
http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif
, I might just explore this a little further.

If it can't work, so be it... But if I can figure out that I can get it to work for sure, I'd really like to do it. Seems like a fun way to spend some time with friends anyway....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts