SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll -

I have an 05 XC90 2.5T AWD. My transmission slips when going uphill and staying in the same gear, though sometimes I have shifting flares like everyone else.

At some point this is going to be a bigger problem than it is right now, since it doesn't affect driving in a way that is unsafe.

I looked at pulling one from a local yard to get it out of an XC90 or XC70 - but that may be crazy to do with a car that is up on jacks, essentially.
I don't know the first thing about re-habbing a transmission of this type, or rebuilding it, but it could be interesting!

a) Is it reasonable to pull one from a yard - only costs $99. But the labor could give me a hard attack or an aneurism.
b) Are any special tools required for removal? What about special tricks?
c) Is there an alternative path I should go? Rebuild? Pull from a different vehicle line, since if I remember these were popular on Toyotas as well.

I know at the very least, I'll have to drop the subframe.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm not in a rush to do this, so wanted to ask so I had time to think and plan.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
Not sure of your mileage, but we are assuming you have already done a fluid change on the transmission?

If not, dirt and other media can prevent good line pressure. The fluid also breaks down so it is thinner at operating temps, thus reducing line pressure. I haven't been in an XC90 2.5t with transmission flares when the transmission fluid has been routinely changed.

For more experience, look at this thread and you maybe try to message Oceans60R: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...Swap-to-R-Engine-Black-Friday-Special-Edition

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
You'll want to refer the last 6 of your VIN (chassis) if you get used for replacement since exch transmission in VIDA has a part number break at chassis 133999 which more often than not indicates something is different.

Both early and latter chassis exch PNs (8251816, 8251827) refer solely to the XC90 for fitment on the Lisle parts site so don't think you can expand your search to the other P2s although for your sake I'm happy to be wrong in this.

Good luck with your repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts