SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XC60 T6, 114k on it. I was wondering about transmission servicing? I know they are sealed units, and a drain and fill is pointless as well as a flush is also a no go, BG makes a service that runs of the trans pump so its not a harsh flush. I know dealerships wont service the transmission. Anyone have experience or just leave it be? Just want to make sure all fluids are good.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have an XC60 T6, 114k on it. I was wondering about transmission servicing? I know they are sealed units, and a drain and fill is pointless as well as a flush is also a no go, BG makes a service that runs of the trans pump so its not a harsh flush. I know dealerships wont service the transmission. Anyone have experience or just leave it be? Just want to make sure all fluids are good.
Drain and fill it twice and then drain and fill again after 10k miles. Use Toyota or Aisin Type T-IV. Remember to reset the transmission fluid counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Drain and fill it twice and then drain and fill again after 10k miles. Use Toyota or Aisin Type T-IV. Remember to reset the transmission fluid counter.
OP didn’t specify what year T6, but know mine doesn’t take the 3309 spec fluid (Toyota T-IV). My ‘13 calls for AW-1 spec.

Regarding the dealer not touching it, local dealer flushed mine. I wasn’t there to see it, but the SM claimed it was an actual flush and not a simple drain and refill. Invoice shows 7 liters of fluid.

Joe

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks for the input, its a 2011, theres not really a fill place for it, so I may service it soon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice, thanks for the input, its a 2011, theres not really a fill place for it, so I may service it soon.
There is a fill plug on it. It’s underneath the air box. Follow this guide if you want to diy. https://youtu.be/EAb9p8Wph-M

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drain and filled my 2013 Xc60 with the 3.2 at 67k miles it shifts much better didn’t take that long either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Toyota Type IV fluid was for the AW55 (5 speed auto) transmission, used on the Volvo P1 and P2 Platform, mated to the 5 cyl engine.

All XC60s/P3 platform cars used the Toyota Type WS Fluid. This was on the TF-80SC (6 speed automatic) mated to the 3.2 and 3.0 6cyl engines, and the TF-81SC (8speed auto) mated to the 2.0 Drive-E 4 cyl engine.

The Volvo labeled fluid is very expensive, can cost $20 per quart. The Aisin Warner (can be purchased for $7 per quart fcpeuro.com) fluid or the Toyota fluid (usualy under that) is the same fluid just related. From talking to many Volvo techs / experts, the Volvo transmission don't always respond well to full synthetic /high performance fluid like a Mobil1 or Valvoline, even though it says it is compatible. So best is to use the non-synthetic OEM fluid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the drain and fill process seems super long and I do not have a comp to flash the ecu, may just take it and get it done.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Toyota Type IV fluid was for the AW55 (5 speed auto) transmission, used on the Volvo P1 and P2 Platform, mated to the 5 cyl engine.

All XC60s/P3 platform cars used the Toyota Type WS Fluid. This was on the TF-80SC (6 speed automatic) mated to the 3.2 and 3.0 6cyl engines, and the TF-81SC (8speed auto) mated to the 2.0 Drive-E 4 cyl engine.

The Volvo labeled fluid is very expensive, can cost $20 per quart. The Aisin Warner (can be purchased for $7 per quart fcpeuro.com) fluid or the Toyota fluid (usualy under that) is the same fluid just related. From talking to many Volvo techs / experts, the Volvo transmission don't always respond well to full synthetic /high performance fluid like a Mobil1 or Valvoline, even though it says it is compatible. So best is to use the non-synthetic OEM fluid.
That is not true. The TF80SC uses Type T-IV fluid. Not WS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts