SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a dead battery, then got a jumpstart from another car and when the car started up it gave me the "Transmission service required" message, the car seems to be driving a bit weird, maybe like its in a limp mode? But the transmission worked fine before the jumpstart and I didn't have the message before, but everything else works in the car fine and the battery is supplying everything else fine.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Why did the battery die? Did you accidentally leave something on or did it just die? Since the car is driveable, maybe a quick trip to an advanced or autozone is in order.

Doesn't really matter if everything else is working fine, that doesn't mean the battery isn't bad. An aged battery can cause any sort of weird problems to go on with this model. I wouldn't freak just yet.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, if the battery is weak it can cause all kinds of weird problems even if it's still strong enough to start the car. It's something to do with the voltage drop during starting. I had a battery that would start the car but it would go flat after about 4 days sitting, so I knew it was weak. I started having random issues like the entire DIM would be black and non functional, and the HVAC would freak out and go automatic. Changed the battery, all problems went away.

It's a good place to start based on what you told us.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah a light was just left on, and i didn't jump it for almost a week. But the car does everything else normal, but maybe testing a new battery out might change the luck?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I'm pretty sure letting an old battery drain can put it in the grave but I'm not certain. Do you know the history on the battery? If it has a Volvo sticker, likely chance it's original and long past due.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
As previous posters said, hit up your local Advance Auto and have the battery tested. Dollars to donuts that's your problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts