SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have any of you had the two shaft input seals go on your transmissions? I changed my oil this morning and noticed a build-up if crud under and on sides of trans. At first I thought it might be the rear main seal but the residue locations don’t sypport this. Both seals seem to be wet and oil residue seems to go no higher than the seals. They look like they are both in good shape but they may or may not mean much.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I took a second look and it really does look like oil not ATF. Have cleaned up and will monitor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
Have any of you had the two shaft input seals go on your transmissions? I changed my oil this morning and noticed a build-up if crud under and on sides of trans. At first I thought it might be the rear main seal but the residue locations don’t sypport this. Both seals seem to be wet and oil residue seems to go no higher than the seals. They look like they are both in good shape but they may or may not mean much.

This applies to all cars not just Volvo, oil can creep around a lot and mislead you. Transmission fluid smells different than engine oil and is a different color. I would spend an hour under there cleaning every bit you can reach back down to dry metal. Take a photo of it clean if you want for later comparison. Drive the car a bit and scope it out again after a few days of driving (hard to say how long it might take depends on leak speed). A Q-tip would possibly show the color. You can’t tell the condition of the seal from the outside typically....how is your trans fluid level? Also the trans dip stick is a good source for fluid color and smell to confirm your leak source. It does change over time.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This applies to all cars not just Volvo, oil can creep around a lot and mislead you. Transmission fluid smells different than engine oil and is a different color. I would spend an hour under there cleaning every bit you can reach back down to dry metal. Take a photo of it clean if you want for later comparison. Drive the car a bit and scope it out again after a few days of driving (hard to say how long it might take depends on leak speed). A Q-tip would possibly show the color. You can’t tell the condition of the seal from the outside typically....how is your trans fluid level? Also the trans dip stick is a good source for fluid color and smell to confirm your leak source. It does change over time.
Thanks for this. Good tips. Underside is now good and clean. Stand by for sequel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts