SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 2000R has 120k on it. 6k miles ago, right after I purchased the car, I had a bunch of services performed by an Indy shop in Colorado. Among the services was a transmission flush. Recently, after the drive up here to Alaska, I have been experiencing some hard downshifts from 3rd to 2nd. Originally, this only seemed to happen when accelerating through a turn, as if the transmission needed time to catch up or something, and it would clunk into 2nd. Now, the downshift seems to shudder a bit even when I'm not on the gas and just coasting up to stoplight. I went back through my records, and found on the invoice that my fluid was replaced with Dexron III. After some forum searching, I hear that Mobil 3309 or similar specialty synthetics are the only type of fluid you should use in the 5 speed autos, whereas Dexron III in any of the 4 speed autos is fine. So, the question is, with 6k miles of driving with the wrong fluid, what's the likelihood I've done permanent damage? Will flushing it and replacing it with the right fluid fix all my woes? Also, what is fair to expect of the shop that put the wrong fluid in? Any and all advice appreciated! Thanks everyone!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts