SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I was driving my 04 v70r thats a manual when I hear a loud noise while driving. Now the car makes a grinding noise when driven in any gear. It lost 5th gear additionally. I took it home and drained the tranny oil and didnt see any metal and even took a neodymium magnet and found no metal.A friend suggested to make sure it wasnt the turbo so I took off the air intake and charge pipe and the turbo blade looks and spins fine. I plan on dropping the tranny and taking a look to try and figure out whats wrong. Anyone know what it could be? I personally know nothing about transmissions and am completely lost on this. Also where could I look to find a new manual transmission if its that bad? Or could you guys cite some rebuild shops that I could contact?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
So you can't engage 5th gear at all or when 5th gear is engaged "________" happens? Why do you think the turbo being damaged would have anything to do with you not being able to use 5th gear? How many miles on the car?

Make sure the shift cables on top of the transmission are okay. Have someone shift in the car while you watch them. If something is obstructing the shifter arm then it would feel like you couldn't engage a certain gear possibly but this is unlikely because you would probably lose more than 1 gear.
Before you drop the entire transmission you could also just remove the shift assembly which is accessible if you remove the shift cables and that shift arm on top of it. 4 bolts and some sealant hold it in the transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you can't engage 5th gear at all or when 5th gear is engaged "________" happens? Why do you think the turbo being damaged would have anything to do with you not being able to use 5th gear? How many miles on the car?

Make sure the shift cables on top of the transmission are okay. Have someone shift in the car while you watch them. If something is obstructing the shifter arm then it would feel like you couldn't engage a certain gear possibly but this is unlikely because you would probably lose more than 1 gear.
Before you drop the entire transmission you could also just remove the shift assembly which is accessible if you remove the shift cables and that shift arm on top of it. 4 bolts and some sealant hold it in the transmission.
It grinds through all gears. And It doesnt want to go into 5th at all. Thier are approximately 200k miles on the car but when I bought it I was told their was a new transmission in it with only 30k so their should only be around 40-45k on the tranny.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah I would check for interference with the shifter arm on top of the transmission first, then remove the shifter assembly out of the transmission and if you can't find a problem there then you might have to drop it and open up the case unfortunately.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I would check for interference with the shifter arm on top of the transmission first, then remove the shifter assembly out of the transmission and if you can't find a problem there then you might have to drop it and open up the case unfortunately.

I removed it and looked great inside, nothing bent,scrathed, or damaged. How do I put it back in right?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I removed it and looked great inside, nothing bent,scrathed, or damaged. How do I put it back in right?
You have to remove the old sealant very carefully, do not damage the mating surfaces. Once it's removed, wipe down with a bit of gasoline to remove all residue. Place a bead of sealant (I used hondabond HT as recommended by another user) around the mating surface on the transmission. Torque the 4 bolts to whatever they need to be it's something really light like 18lbs or something I can't remember. I snapped the head off one of my bolts when I did this because I didn't look up torque spec and just did them to like 50lbs which I thought was realtively light. Probably also had a bad bolt or something.

Oh and when you put it back in, line up that pin at the bottom of the assemble with the small bearing at the bottom of the transmission that receives it. It does require a little push to get it to snap into place but you should be able to tell if it's not aligned properly because the whole thing won't seat properly in there. If it's seated flat on the transmission, the pin is in the bearing.

Also maybe take this opportunity to drain the fluid and have a look inside transmission for any damage or possible cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to remove the old sealant very carefully, do not damage the mating surfaces. Once it's removed, wipe down with a bit of gasoline to remove all residue. Place a bead of sealant (I used hondabond HT as recommended by another user) around the mating surface on the transmission. Torque the 4 bolts to whatever they need to be it's something really light like 18lbs or something I can't remember. I snapped the head off one of my bolts when I did this because I didn't look up torque spec and just did them to like 50lbs which I thought was realtively light. Probably also had a bad bolt or something.

Oh and when you put it back in, line up that pin at the bottom of the assemble with the small bearing at the bottom of the transmission that receives it. It does require a little push to get it to snap into place but you should be able to tell if it's not aligned properly because the whole thing won't seat properly in there. If it's seated flat on the transmission, the pin is in the bearing.

Also maybe take this opportunity to drain the fluid and have a look inside transmission for any damage or possible cause.
I put it back in and re sealed it, after I put it back in it pushed into place and it looked just like before. But, after reconnecting the shifting cables the shifter doesnt move into all the gears and feels almost stuck.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I would've test fitted it before adding the sealant to make sure it shifted properly.

https://youtu.be/2xqvYWIT2CM

I don't know if this video might help you visualize what's going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts