SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning (running a little late) I didn't let my car warm up like I usually do, and I observed something rather odd. The gear selector was in "D", but as I drove for the first 100 meters, I noticed that the car didn't shift up into 2nd gear. I gave it a little more throttle, ut still no up-shift when I let off. A ood 50-60 seconds after I had started the car, it finally up-shifted, but reluctantly. I haven't had the tranny fluid changed yet, but I'm more seriously thinking about it now. Anyone ever run into this issue before?<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Well, two things. First, what is your mileage. Volvo doesn't have tranny fluid changing in the service schedule for the car. When I had my 854R, it would shift roughly sometimes, but when I upgraded to synthetic tranny fluid, the prob went away.<P>I can't remember if the 850 did it or not, but some manufacturers program in the car to go to hold higher revs when the engine is cold in order to help warm it up faster and presumably get the heat to kick in on a cold morning. Like I said, can't remember if the 850 did that or not, but I've driven cars that have done it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has about 62K miles on it. I really need to get the odometer fixed, since about 35K it reads 1.66 miles for every mile driven. I think I'll try switching to synthetic as the next step. The tranny has been acting up lately, and I would hate to have to swap that thing out. Thanks for the info!<P>

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
are you sure you don't have an odo that's reading km's instead of miles?<P>aren't there some vacuum lines that control the transmission in addition to the electronics?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the KM thing is an interesting idea (and it would just about be right) I used to work fine before... and the odo/trip meters move funny... like they have a limp.<P>I'm not sure about the tranny and vacuum lines. Who makes the factory service manuals for Volvo? I know its Helm for Honda, but maybe Volvo prints there own. I'll have to look into it. I had a vacuum leak (which i believe i fixed tonight) that was cause the ecu to throw the 2-3-2 code (rich/lean at idle) and the tranny seems to shift more smoothly now, so a vacuum line could be a very real issue. I think I'm going to take the time and replace ALL the vacuum lines, as I've run across a number of very dry/brittle/cracking lines in the last few weeks. As anyone undertaken this task? Thanks for everyones input!<P>

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the odo is electronic so it may be something wrong with it in the inst panel or something wrong with your speed sensor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to say that its something wrong with the gauge cluster itself, as the speedo works just fine, and I'm sure they work off the same signal (correct?). I have the trip computer, so I haven't really had the biggest need to fix the issue. I've kept track of the actual mileage within 2-3k, which isn't going to upset much if I ever decide to sell the car (doubtful).<P>On a side note, I had replaced that vacuum line in hopes of solving the 2-3-2 code, and the car does drive better now that I've replaced it, but it threw a code just as I drove into work this morning (what a way to start the day). The O2 sensor seems like its in a place that is easy to get to, so I think I'll take it out and see if a replacement unit doesn't solve the issue.<BR><P>

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You may have a problem with your PNP switch or the mechanical linkage is out of adjustment slightly. The ECU is reading one thing while the trans is seeing another. In my 850, at about 200k miles, I had the same issue. Prior to making the adjustments and replacing the PNP switch, I could pull the shifter just a shave below the "notch" where it settles into drive to resolve the issue. This condition will eventually lead you to "limp mode" when you go to downshift into a lower gear while cold. The PNP switch is more sensitive in the lower gears for some reason...<P>Cheers<BR>Prospero

1 - 8 of 8 Posts