SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my car has been acting funny.
For one I get a ping everytime I shift from P to R to D

Secondly, every time I drive I can hear the turbo spool really loud and i feel like the engine is working harder than it should be when I go up a hill or just dive normal. For instance I watch my speedo for when it changes gears and it seems to rev and take longer to change gears.

Third, i also notice that when I slow down there is some vibration but not all the time. Lately I feel like the car has been driving like ****. Kind of hear a clunk when I come to a complete stop.

The car is a 2005 s60r automatic. 63k miles stock

I searched and will be replacing the axel bolts with xc90 ones and will take a look under the car tomorrow when there is day light. What should I be checking for?? Vacuum leaks? Turbo issues? Or transmission problem?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
check for a boost leak, look closely at the coupler and O-ring on the charge pipe, make sure the IAT sensor (right after the intercooler on the cold side charge pipe) is bolted down properly. Also check the cold side charge pipe where it connects to the intercooler. These are the most likely areas to cause leaks.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Also make sure you have all updates for the transmission. Last time you have a good flush? 63K would be a good time to do it if you never have.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I have never done a flush yet. I'm actually scared to do it myself and the dealer wont do it until 105k they said... Wow I appreciate all the suggestions guys, I will take a look tomorrow and let you guys know what I find!!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Also make sure you have all updates for the transmission. Last time you have a good flush? 63K would be a good time to do it if you never have.
Ahhh look whose giving advice on automatic trannies lol :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My suggestion is find a local indy (hopefully one that works on Volvo's) or a local transmission shop and buy a case or more of your own fluid (Redline D4, Mobli 3309 or Toyota T-IV) and ask them to do the flush for you. Shouldn't be more then $100 plus the cost of fluid ($50-$80 for a case of 12) hopefully.

It isn't hard to do the flush with another set of hands. If I can do it with my no car knowledge girlfriend (she started the car and turned it off while I held the clear tube in the trans cooler), you can do it trust me :)

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ahhh look whose giving advice on automatic trannies lol :D
Yea, Cause I know first hand of a transmission that wasn't probably cared for :( I don't wanna see another 05' go down the **** hole :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updates? Can you elaborate, like updating the software or update in regards to fluid change??

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Software.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My suggestion is find a local indy (hopefully one that works on Volvo's) or a local transmission shop and buy a case or more of your own fluid (Redline D4, Mobli 3309 or Toyota I-IV) and ask them to do the flush for you. Shouldn't be more then $100 plus the cost of fluid ($50-$80 for a case of 12) hopefully.

It isn't hard to do the flush with another set of hands. If I can do it with my no car knowledge girlfriend (she started the car and turned it off while I held the clear tube in the trans cooler), you can do it trust me :)
I keep telling you, a video put in the stickies would solve all these questions from popping up! DO IT!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I keep telling you, a video put in the stickies would solve all these questions from popping up! DO IT!!!!! :D
Well I got my new Solenoids in the mail today and ordered a case of 3309 for the fluid so I'll be having that done soon so it would be pointless to make a video :D

Lets just do it too your car?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To the OP:

Definitely check your charge pipe connection at the turbo. I've had my v clamp come loose several times when I thought I had put it on properly. It can sometimes be a pain to get it perfectly straight over the bands. This will make your intake "whoosh" as the turbo is basically venting to atmo and giving very little air to your engine. It's also giving dirt/crap a chance to get into your system past the air filter which is no bueno.

The ping is definitely axle ping, which is easily solved with a pair of these: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6251/114277-axle-bolt-with-rubber-insulator-anti-ping

The vibration you're feeling could be a dirty ETM, which I think my car is experiencing as well. Watch your rpms next few times you come to a stop and see if it dips low when the vibrations occur. If they do, then we have similar issues which I've been trying to track down the cause for. When I get to doing my FMIC I'm going to clean the throttle body really well and see if that cures it. fingers crossed...

The clunking sounds like endlinks. Sounds like a good time to get some HD ones from IPD as they're on sale right now. If that won't solve it...well, welcome to the 4C strut club :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well I got my new Solenoids in the mail today and ordered a case of 3309 for the fluid so I'll be having that done soon so it would be pointless to make a video :D

Lets just do it too your car?
Deal! I'm tired of looking at my case of Toyota IV ATF in my garage!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ok and while I'm there I'll take you on a drive in my car and let you feel and hear why you should flush your transmission :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

here is the video i took of what i am talking about. I am essentially driving normal from a stop light just giving the pedal even pressure. you can see that during the 3-4th shift it just seems like its struggle or not holding boost?

btw: don't mind the loud noise mid way through the video, i drove over a man hole.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh yeah and while i was inspecting the car, i took out the plastic under the bumper and radiator and found a bolt just laying there....

where could this be from???

i checked the charge pipe and other piping, but TO ME it seems like its all tightly snug? i'm not the most knowledgeable in regards to finding an air leak or what ever may not look right in the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
oh yeah and while i was inspecting the car, i took out the plastic under the bumper and radiator and found a bolt just laying there....

where could this be from???

i checked the charge pipe and other piping, but TO ME it seems like its all tightly snug? i'm not the most knowledgeable in regards to finding an air leak or what ever may not look right in the engine bay.
Check the side of your timing belt cover cause there is a bolt about that long that holds the side cover into place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 60 Posts