SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may unfortunately be time for me to sell my s60, the past couple days I have been driving my car it is making a horrible clicking noise in my front end much like the noise made when the cv joints are shot but it does not make any difference when I am going straight or turning also I crawled underneath my car and the axle felt tight I could not twist it at all so I am worried it is my transmission because this morning it was very stiff shifting from neutral into 1st a couple times but other times it went right in like normal also my pilot bearing has been shot for about a year now but I was told it wasn't a big deal that I need not worry about it so I'm obviously hoping its just the cv axle needing to be replaced but before I buy the part and go through the hassle could anybody give me some input as to what it is?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Just fyi, the pilot bearing will not make the noise you are describing, bad pilot bearing tend to growl or grind when engaging the clutch, not click while in gear moving. What you are describing sounds like possible cv joint fault but hard to tell without more info or seeing it in person. I wouldn't worry too much about the trans based on these symptoms alone.

Some info on the car? Year? Mileage? Have the cv joints ever been repaired? How loud is the noise, does it increase with speed or load? Does it sound louder from one side or the other?

Putting it on a lift might be very helpful.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise from the cv was prior existing its a whining noise under load but the current noise I do believe is cv but I'm not sure as far as the car goes it is a 2001 s60 t5 with 187k on it I don't know if the axles have been replaced I bought it at 140k the noise is pretty loud and decreases with speed it is moat audible through 1st and 2nd gear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.